Scottish Highland Games - this August

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Scottish Highland Games - this August

Postby Declan Murray » Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

Don't worry i'm not looking for sponsorship this time just vocal support!

This August my friend, Ed, and i are travelling round the Highland Games (hopefully winning races/events and earning money/prizes). With Ed cornering the market in the field events and sprints leaving me to deal with anything from 800m upwards. If any of you are in the area(s) it would be great to see some familiar faces or even have some club competition. The provisional plan is as follows:

1st - Aboyne
2nd - Montrose
5th - Skye
7th - Dornoch
13th - Ballater
14th - Assynt
15th - Helmsdale
16th - Caithness
22nd - Invergordon

Thanks and i hope to see you at any of the above. Or if you fancy giving it a go yourself visit http://www.highlandgames-sga.com/ for more details.

Declan
Declan Murray
Plodder

Postby MikeG » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 am

Declan,

For those club members who are interested, it might help if you gave an indication of which part of Scotland, some of these Games are located.

The website doesn't help much e.g. Couper Park, Helmsdale for Helmsdale - which is not much use if you don't know where Helmsdale is?

From memory, Dufftown at the end of July (half-way between Aberdeen and Inverness heading towards Aviemore), has a seriously long fell race ~ 1hr41minute winning time...

Have fun
best wishes, Mike G
MikeG
Mid pack runner

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:13 pm

MikeG wrote:Declan,

From memory, Dufftown at the end of July (half-way between Aberdeen and Inverness heading towards Aviemore), has a seriously long fell race ~ 1hr41minute winning time...

Have fun

This must be the Ben Rinnes race you're referring to

http://scottishhillracing.co.uk/RaceRes ... eYear=2005

1.41!!! The last time it was under 2 hours (only just) was 2005 when I managed 2.46! Great race and great atmosphere dodging the cabers in the field on the way back in. Having said this most Highland Games races are short and steep.
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby Declan Murray » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:45 pm

Quick update from Aberdeen:

Two games later, £300 richer, with Scottish suntans and tired legs we are still smiling :)

Heading off to Skye tomorrow with some other more local athletes also following the circuit.

Here's to more of the same and we hope the rest of you are enjoying your summers as much as we are.

Happy running in the sun,

Declan (and Ed)
Declan Murray
Plodder

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Had a look at the web site for results but as yet not up. Would be interested to know how you are doing in the series. Perhaps you could make a note on the forum. Big prizes!

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Declan Murray » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Barry, don't think we are eligible for the series as they are organised by regions across the whole summer (May to September) my friend Ed is already making a name for himself though. Meanwhile i'm considering a change of discipline to the High Jump.

Skye was definitely the best Games so far with a 120m circle track creating a wonderfully intimate atmosphere from a surprisingly knowlegable and interested crowd. Highly recommend it to any of you who fancy a break from the Cullins next summer

We have the Dornoch Games today and are moving on to Strathpeffer tomorrow. The weather is incredibly un-Scottish (20-odd degrees) so are looking forward to some rest days early next week.

Best wishes from the Highlands,

Declan (and Ed)
Declan Murray
Plodder

Return to General