Good Evening and Hello

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Good Evening and Hello

Postby Manny » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Good evening,

Well, how should I start? I am male, 26 years old and have recently moved to Macclesfield. I work and study both at the same time, and to chill out and wind down I currently go jogging about 2-3 times a week (on my own) which I really enjoy, although I feel I would benefit from meeting new people and being part of something.

I am therefore thinking about joining the Harriers who were recommended to me by a work colleague. I have had a look around the website to see what the club is about but had some difficulty finding my way around. After spotting your forum I thought I might just as well say hello here and see where we go after.

A little about myself in terms of sport, I have never been part of a sports club nor have I ever run a competetive race, as I say I just run to enjoy and relax. I started running around 1 1/2 years ago when I realised that my desk job was slowly increasing my belt size and currently run 2-3x 10km a week, usually between 46-49min.

To be honest I have no idea either about the different types of runs you do in your club (road, cross county, ...)? usually I just run along the road to some half way point that I measured off google and then turn round and run back home. I am however open to any sort of running really, I enjoy the country side and like to add some variety to my running.

I am also somewhat ambitious and am currently trying to break the 45min mark, would really love to crack the 40min some time in my life and hope that through meeting the right people I can achieve my personal goals but maybe also contribute to other people's aims.

I suppose that's it from me for now. I hope this is not the wrong forum to post and look forward to hearing and hopefully meeting some of you to see if and how I could fit in.

Thank you very much

Manny
Manny
Plodder

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 pm

There's quite a lot going on Manny.
Road runners meet on monday and thursday nights at 6.30 in the car park behind the Leisure Centre. 2 groups (different pace) set off for ca 1hr 20 min run.

There are training sessions at the running track behind the LC on tuesdays and thursdays from 6.30 till ca 8.

Fell runners meet at various hostelries on Wed's at 7 and in summer and winter go off road for ca 1hr 20. Need a torch in winter and offroad footwear.

You'll find the forum is mainly used by the Fell runners.

Your best bet is to go on a monday night and introduce yourself to Dave Jackson who leads the "C" group and take it from there.

cheers

Barry

PS There are various contacts on the web site
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Manny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Barry,

that sounds great, thank you very much for the fast response as well.
I will make contact with Dave Jackson and see where I go from there.

Thank you again

Manny
Manny
Plodder

Postby Chris Bentley » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Manny, once you've had opportunity to pop down on a Monday or Thursday evening, I'd also encourage you to try racing with the club.

I know many people who are new to running are nervous about racing at first, and of course the club's not all about racing. However with the times you quote you certainly don't need to worry.

You mention cross country and it's the beginning of the season now. The club's races are linked from the front page of the website. Distance is usually about 10k but varies from race to race.

On the roads, the Langley 7 is coming up on 5 November. 7 miles on the road around Langley, one very big hill, again details are on the website.

We also do the standard distances on the road - watch the website for details of 2012 races. The club also has a strong fell section, and there is track running too if you fancy it.

Chris
Chris Bentley
Plodder

Postby Manny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Chris Bentley wrote:I know many people who are new to running are nervous about racing at first

I can totally agree with that hehe. Thank you for the additional info Chris, I guess I will be making my way down on Thursday to say hello and join in on a little run and meet the people :). I think the Leisure Centre is about 5min from where I live.

Have had another look on the Club page and found the Langley 7, sounds an interesting way to get started I think. Looking forward to whatever is heading my way.

Excited now, why can't it be Thursday tomorrow already
Manny
Plodder

Postby Donworkin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Manny- Just make sure you're wearing a bright bib on Thursday night, if you're really keen on looking forward to something heading your way :lol:
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby jimmywills » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Manny

If you do go on Thursday, try to get there about 620ish as the run starts off at 630 and wouldn't want you to miss it.
jimmywills
Plodder

Postby Manny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Great stuff,

I will make sure I get there in plenty of time, gives me chance to say hello as well then. Hope to see some of you tomorrow night then?!

Manny
Manny
Plodder

Postby Manny » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Thank you very much all for the very warm welcome and a great run!!!! Really enjoyed it and will deffo be joining you again on Monday.

Thanks again :)

Manny
Manny
Plodder

Postby Philip Barnes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 am

Welcome to the club Manny!
Something else to consider:
For the 1st time next year, starting in March, we are holding a Cross-Discipline Challenge in an attempt to encourage people to try competing in different events. It is NOT a competition in itself and everyone who completes it will be recognised (T-shirt or mug or something and a celebratory bbq).
To qualify, you have to compete in a track, road, x-country and fell-race.

If you are ever available mid-week afternoons I wouold be more than happy to give you a gentle introduction to running in the hills (30 - 40 mins say).
Just post in the fell section to for best chances of me seeing it :D
Welcome again!
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Manny » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Uh sounds interesting!!! Need some special shoes though for hill running, correct? Have to give it a go. And the cross-discipline challenge sounds a challenge hehe.

Another good run last night, membership application been posted and Langley7 entered. Busy times ahead :) :)
Manny
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Manny,
Good to see you getting so involved.You`re certainly taking on a tough one as your first race as a harrier.....start very slowly it`s a big climb!
You might want to consider coming along to the Roaches race to help with marshalling,it will give you a great idea about what running in the hills is all about.Maybe liaise with Dave Tucker and help him on the summit of Shutt.Alternatively contact Andy thru the Roaches race thread & offer your services.
Phil C
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:55 pm

"a Cross-Discipline Challenge"

I know something like this was being discussed - can you (Phil B or anyone else) provide more information please. [/quote]
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Manny » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Out of commission for running tonight, my body has failed me and an evil cold has invaded me :cry: hopefully battle it down over the weekend. :cry:
Manny
Plodder

Postby Philip Barnes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 pm

For Colin and all others who didn't read the GO magazine (or who did and forgot :shock: )
Minutes of ‘Cross Discipline Challenge’ meeting held at Sutton Hall August 15th 2011 8pm

Attendees:
Chris Bentley – Chair
Philip Barnes
Barry Blyth
Anne Farmer
Andrea Frost
Craig Harwood
Steve Lomas
Bob Lynch
Tessa Montague
John Mooney
James Noakes
Rachel Pleeth
Charlie Seldon

The meeting opened with discussions confirming that, in all sections of the club, (Road Running, Fell Running, Cross Country and Track & Field) participation was below desired levels. It was highlighted that, in particular, the Cross Country participations was ‘falling away’ and that Track & Field had ‘almost no senior participation’. Across all disciplines it was also acknowledged that participation from senior women was very low resulting in the women’s awards being withheld.

Against this backdrop then it was proposed that a ‘Cross Discipline Challenge’ be initiated with the following aims:

1. To promote the concept of participation in races throughout the club
2. To give support to newer and younger members to try different events
3. To help provide a platform for progression of athletes through the various existing groups and improve performance.
4. To bring together the disparate sub-sections of the club and help create a more supportive, social and effective club as a whole.

After much lively discussion, the following points were agreed:
1. The club would launch Cross Discipline Challenge commencing in March 2012.
2. The title ‘Challenge’ would be used to highlight the purpose of encouraging participation.
3. The existing Road Champs, Fell Champs, Cross Country Champs and
T & F events would continue independently, but would represent the list of events that would be available to participants.
4. The ‘Challenge’ will consist of 8 events. These being 2 Road Races, 2 Fell Races, 2 Cross Country Races and 2 T&F events. Participants are free to choose from any of the events listed in point 3.
5. Further, to qualify for the Challenge, in addition to completing the 8 events, participants MUST support 1 event in the capacity of marshal or otherwise provide support on the day.
6. There will be technical T-shirts awarded to all completers of the challenge and it was discussed that these could be distributed at a social gathering at time to be confirmed.
7. It was agreed that if the Challenge is to succeed, the club would need to actively encourage participation through the website, GO magazine and flyers. Also to promote the challenge outside the club in a bid to attract new members.
8. Club members will also need to act as ‘buddies’ to encourage people to give it a go and reduce the perception that these events are ‘…not for me…’

The meeting was adjourned at 9pm.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Next

Return to General