Edale to Common Barn, Rainow - Sunday 11th June 2006.

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Edale to Common Barn, Rainow - Sunday 11th June 2006.

Postby Jon » Mon May 15, 2006 5:25 pm

Dear All,

We have been talking about this run for a while – though I have been too preoccupied with the London Marathon training to do anything about it. So now that’s out the way, I’m really looking forward to running this route. As before with the Gritsone Trail, Buxton to Macc etc. this will be a run and walk (hilly bits) I have recce’d most of this route with Peter Nolan and I believe you will find this is a very enjoyable route of approximately 17 to 18 miles.

We have booked a 16 seater Minibus to set off from Macclesfield at 8:45am (car park by the Mill Stone Pub, opposite the railway Station) and 9:00am at the Highwayman Pub Rainow (for anyone wanting to leave their car at Common Barn Car park) then straight to Edale.

To keep the cost down to £5 there will be no collection from Common Barn – you will either need collecting, drop a car off, or for the longer distance runner among us…..

Booking a place on the bus is on a first come basis, so please get your £5 to me ASAP. I am usually at Teggs Nose on a Monday 6:30pm and Thursday at Macclesfield Leisure car park at 6:30pm. We may look at booking a second minibus if there is a lot of interest.

Finally for the curious here’s the proposed route:

The Route:
Edale Station
Barber Booth
Chapel Gate
A625 (SK094824)
Stoneyfold, Bagshaw
Higher Plumpton and A6 (SK076794)
Platting Farm, Sittinglow and top road
Castle Naze and Combs Edge
White Hall Centre
Across ‘Long Hill’ down to Errwood Dam
Hoo Moor side of Fernilee Reservoir
Overton Hall Farm to Taxal Edge
5 lane ends, Tunstead Knoll and Summer Close
Bank and Smith Lane to Common Barn (Approx 18 map miles)

For anyone wanting to carry on!
Rainow to Macclesfield (22 map miles)

Could you pass on this info to anyone you think may also be interested.

Let’s hope it’s a sunny day.

Regards

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby Jon » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:28 pm

Edale Update
Both buses are now full and I understand we have a few people making their own way to Edale too – so we should have a good turn out.

Macclesfield
The buses will be picking us up from the car park next to the Mill stone Pub (opposite Macclesfield Station). I recommend you get there by 08:30 as we intend to leave at 08:45.

Rainow
We will then pick up from The Highwayman pub for those who plan to leave their cars at the finish. (Note: If you turn right out of Common Barn and left into Pike Road, it is just over a mile to the Highwayman). I would also recommend getting to Common Barn around 08:30 to give you time to get to the pick up point.

We are aiming to get to Edale’s main public car park (just before the Station) for a 09:30 start.

I have been in touch with Common Barn to let them know how many will be turning up and check they are fine with us parking there in the morning.

Getting back to Macclesfield
I would guess there will be plenty of places for anyone needing a lift back to Macclesfield.

Any questions please email me j.falkner@ntlworld.com or call 07973 629 639.

I hope you all enjoy the day.

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Edale run - 1 spare seat available

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm

1 spare seat is available on the bus, there might be two. If you would like a place please let me know ASAP. The seats have been paid for so I will want to pass on the £5.

Regards

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby Jon » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:32 am

Please bring plenty of liquids on Sunday (it’s going to be hot and humid) There will be a drink station (Van!) across Errood dam at the car park.
Jon
Front runner

What a great route

Postby Franswallow » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks for organising Jon, a grand day out, good chit chat, great hills,(glad that we walked the steep bits...) very enjoyable.
Fran :D
And of course, good cakes
Franswallow
Mid pack runner

Thanks!

Postby Jon » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:38 pm

Thanks for supplying the drinks Fran – just the ticket. Also big thanks to Neil (not that he will read this) Jane and Chris for organising the drink station – it must have taken hours to clear all that stuff out of the van!! While I’m on the thanking bit – Thanks to Mike Nelson (and good luck next weekend) and a big thanks to Peter Nolan who picked the route and did a great deal with the bus company. I have to say I do enjoy the recce’s as much as the run it self. Well done and cheers to all who turned out for a very hot and challenging day. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

I will send the photos I took to the Harriers website ASAP.

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby phil cheek » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:55 am

Jon,Pete & everyone who helped,thanks for a great morning out.
It was good to see so many folk out,& some comparatively inexperienced runners coping so well in pretty extreme conditions.I think world tea drinking records may have been under severe threat afterwards.

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:31 pm

Pictures posted on Gallery - all 40 of them!
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:37 am

Hi John,

Thanks very much for posting them – I’m sorry there was so many! Hope you got your tea before 10:30pm!

Cheers

Jon

PS Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.
Jon
Front runner

Return to General