Waterproof (or resistant) gloves

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Waterproof (or resistant) gloves

Postby Tom Whittington » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Has anyone had any success with getting these? I get very cold hands on long runs, particularly if it is wet/windy and am yet to find a good solution. Most waterproof gloves are a bit too cumbersome for running.

Thanks!
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Re: Waterproof (or resistant) gloves

Postby Dan C » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:45 pm

The best I have discovered, so far, is a pair of the thin latex surgical (of similar) gloves under a normal pair of running gloves. They are wind proof and waterproof and really act a s a good layer...
Dan C
Plodder

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 pm

I got mine from Aldi about 5 years ago for £1.99 and they were brilliant. They fell apart on Saturday night when JonT and I met Larry for the last 22 miles of the dusk til dawn adventure. Keep an eye out on their website.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 pm

These are the only gloves that work, especially with winter coming up.

http://www.climbers-shop.com/1377025/pr ... mitts.aspx
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:37 am

Are Dachstein gloves really waterproof? Fine in cold, dry weather. Dan C's idea is nearest to what I've found to work for running (i.e. thin inner glove with an outer) because it allows you to take outer glove off and fiddle about with zips/maps etc without getting hands wet/cold in the process nb if climbing it helps if your outer glove is tied on to your person - nothing worse than losing a glove on an ice climb! :cry:
I've found some waterproof gloves not suitable for running in cold/wet weather e.g. Porelles (there are others) which are in effect a thin plastic bag with an outer and an inner layer. Trouble with them is that once your hand is wet ( and this can be through normal sweat process as in running) they can be quite awkward to put back on - this isn't what you need when trying to keep hands warm and keep moving at the same time.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to General