FELL RUNNING for "Beginners"

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

FELL RUNNING for "Beginners"

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 pm

I've just put a note on the Fell forum re this years club champs. I've selected relatively local races which hopefully will encourage a few road and track runners "to have a go". If you are interested but unsure let me know and I'll try and help. Some fell runners do the odd road race and track sessions I tend to be involved in other activities on tues/thurs (Bridge/Badmington) so can't get down to the track. I'd ask those that do Fell run and go to the track to chat about what's involved and encourage people to have a go.

On a separate note. I'm conscious that we don't really cater for younger Fell runners (I'm thinking mid teens to mid 20's) certainly not over the winter months. Our wed night sessions are not suitable except maybe for the Hill reps once or twice a month that we have started to do (good to see some road runners pushing us on these!). Tues/Thurs track sessions are good for fitness/speed. The summer wed night sessions would be suitable for younger runners. If there were sufficient interest then we could organise some specific taster/coaching sessions on say a saturday am. Again we have some skilled orienteers whom I'm sure could develop the training.

I'd like some feedback/advice on this so we could take it forward.

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Re: FELL RUNNING for "Beginners"

Postby Daisy Pickles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm definitely interested in a fell running 'taster' session on a saturday am. It's something I'm keen to have a go at and would be nice to go out with some experienced fell runners to get any advice!

I know a few others would be up for it too it would just be a matter of fitting it into a weekend with no big races on I guess!

Daisy
Daisy Pickles

Postby phil cheek » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm

I`ll happily run the introduction to navigation course again in the spring if the demand is there
phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks Phil. I'd like to have it as an agenda item at the next committee meet/

Daisy I'm happy to go out on a sat am if it's mutually convenient. If you can get a few mates/participants from tues/thurs session or wherever then suggest the 1st run is from my house this sat 9.30. I'm at 10 Marlborough close in Tytherington so convenient for a white Nancy/Kerridge run ca 7 1/2 mls covering part of the Rainow 5 race route. Can have a discussion on gear over a tea/coffee afterwards. My home tel no is 01625 424129 mob 07963562442.

Some are planning to do the Edale Skyline race in March and Reccy's are being planned for this (half the route starting from Mam Nick). A bit more arduous (expect to be out ca 2 1/2 hrs. Keep an eye on the forum if you are interested.

There are very easy paced sunday morning runs posted on the forum (Dave Tucker) that usually involve a cafe.

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby mark stanbridge » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm

I'm very interested in this also but cant make this Saturday, kids party plus its the four villages half marathon on Sunday ...next time
mark stanbridge
Plodder

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:57 pm

I think I need to build up a list of contacts and individual's off/on road experiences to tailor runs accordingly. Both you and Daisy could obviously manage longer outings.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Return to General