Backwards to Buxton

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Backwards to Buxton

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:13 pm

Has anyone got any information about a backwards race from Macclesfield to Buxton which took place in the 1950's? There is a mention on the Macclesfield Town website about the landlord of the Oxford Road Tavern, Mr John Alcock, who also doubled as the football club's trainer. This gentleman maintained his fitness by regularly taking the route from Macc town hall to Buxton town hall facing the way he'd come from! This was around the turn of the 19th century so was the subsequent revival something that Macclesfield Harriers were involved with??
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:28 pm

This is not such a frivolous posting - running backwards can improve your forwards running - according to this website 'Backward walking and running is recommended for the rehabilitation of overuse injuries and knee joint problems because it increases the strength and power of the quadriceps muscles while reducing compressive forces at the knee joint, preventing overstretching of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and decreasing force absorption.'

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/backwards-running.htm
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby mudskimmer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:38 am

This race continued well into the 1980's - it started at Macc TownHall - perhaps someone on the local council can remember the details?
In later years the numbers dwindled - but I can certainly remember it taking place. Never quite fancied it myself, running backwards may have physiological benefits but that means nothing if you get flattened by a car or motorbike in the process!
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:46 am

Back in the late 18th century when Mark Lee used to lead the B group, every now and then in winter we used to do hill reps running backwards up Blakelow Road. We usually managed 3 or 4 reps before one of the locals got the boys in blue out.

Some people (Mark especially) were really good at it, could almost go as fast backwards as forwards. We ran back down again forwards otherwise there would have been a lot of collisions / injuries - although Martin you could try 'downhill backwards' off the top of Moel Famau - with your descending speed it could be interesting.....
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:46 am

...gniffo eht ni si laiceps thgin yadsendew a raef I ...ti sees ciDneB erofeb daerht siht etedel ot deen I
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby mudskimmer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:23 pm

Interesting spelling of 'delete'.

Perhaps we should re-open the challenge to see if anyone can better 2hrs 43mins?

Ben Dict should enquire whether his running course includes running backwards. In fact I think he should organise a Wednesday night post run lecture to share his new found knowledge with us. I'm sure most of us would willingly give up our beer in the persuit of running excellence.

.....and thinking about it perhaps Nancy could follow that up on a subsequent Wednesday with training tips for homing tampons.

I'm beginning to look forward to those long winter nights after all...........
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Andy Gray » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:09 pm

so this would not only solve my own stream of injuries, but also the watering eyes and sore throats from breathing through my mouth; is a suitable helmet or at least balaclava available?
Andy Gray
Plodder

Return to General