Dog Attacks

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Dog Attacks

Postby jimkelly » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:26 am

Being attacked and harassed by dogs is probably something of an occupational hazard for us runners, whether on or off road. A week ago I was attacked and bitten by a dog while out on a Sunday morning run with other harriers. It happened near Lockgate Farm, Adlington when two Jack Russells came out of the farm on to the public footpath, barking and snapping even though we had stopped running and were trying to ignore them. The bite probably looked worse than it was and I have suffered no infection as a result. My reason for posting this story, however, is to advise what we should do about incidents like this.

Later in the day I reported the incident at Macclesfield Police Station. I was pleased with the way the matter was handled, full details were taken, and I was advised that an officer would contact me within 2/3 days. I had a telephone discussion with that officer three days later. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the police keep a 'dog bite register' and that there is an officer specially assigned to this area of investigation. There were no reported incidents of attacks from Lockgate Farm and as I had not been greatly harmed I saw no need for the police to visit the farm to talk to the dog owners. I was content that the incident has been logged and should there be a similar incident at that location police would certainly interview the owner. I understand prosecutions do occur even if they are not always newsworthy. BUT ONLY IF PEOPLE REPORT THE INCIDENTS. So, if you are bitten or attacked by a dog, even if it seems not particularly serious, report it to the police. You may save somebody a serious injury by doing so.
jim kelly
jimkelly
Plodder

Return to General