Hills Up Streets

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Hills Up Streets

Postby jimkelly » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Do you know when you're running through the streets and paths in and around Macclesfield town centre, and you catch a really fine view that almost stops you in your tracks? A view of one or more of the hills that surround the town, or perhaps a historic mill, or even hills and mills together? Can you remember those views, where they were and the names of the streets that disclosed those views?

If so, could you let me know the brief details over the next few days or so? My purpose is asking is because 'Hills Up Streets' is one of the key themes included in the 2016 Barnaby Festival, and each selected viewspot will attract various displays and /or performances during the period of the festival (work in progress). We need about 10-12 ideas and although a number have already been suggested, I feel sure there are others just waiting to be revealed!

Ideas already received include the following;
- down Church St
- view down Barton St
- Sparrow Park & top of 108 Steps
- South Park hill
- Footbridge over Hibel Road

Looking forward to sifting through lots of suggestions...

Jim Kelly
jim kelly
jimkelly
Plodder

Re: Hills Up Streets

Postby burb » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Great idea

Paradise Street - looking down past weaver cottages up towards the Hollins
Rob Hasler
burb
Mid pack runner

Postby jimkelly » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks Rob. I agree that's an excellent viewspot and I'll put it forward for consideration

Any more suggestions? Don't be hesitant about putting forward ideas because you imagine they might be too obvious. You could be the only one that's noticed a particular view; many runners hardly take their eyes off their stop watches/monitors!
jim kelly
jimkelly
Plodder

Postby burb » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:27 am

I've posted this onto our facebook page - will hopefully get a few more responses for you.
Rob Hasler
burb
Mid pack runner

Postby burb » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 am

Hi Jim, are you on Facebook? There are a few more comments on our page.

Lynne Graves - The view of town and surrounding areas from blakelow Road just after the sharp bend and before stoneyfold lane

Rose Palesa McCormack - From the bridal path above the two reservoirs that you get to via the secret steps. It's parallel to higher fence ave. lovely sunsets and views of church steeples

Fran Swallow - I really like the view down the hill from about half way down park lane where the mill is in the centre,it really dominates...like it did for so many of the worker's lives....

James Williams - 108 steps?

Helen Rose - The view at the top of Hibel road looking at the hills....

I also love the view from the junction of Queen Victoria St and Mill Street - looking down mill street you can see the BT Tower and down Queen Vic you can see up towards Teggs
Rob Hasler
burb
Mid pack runner

Postby jimkelly » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks for these, Rob. Facebook is certainly the way to find out things
I will forward these suggestions to the planning group. I suspect they may have enough suggestions in by now but there is a meeting later this week so I will find out what the position is. If more ideas are being sought, I'll be looking to your facebook friends again
Greatly appreciated
Jim
jim kelly
jimkelly
Plodder

Postby jimkelly » Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 pm

The hills up streets idea has found its way into the Barnaby programme (pg 22). I haven't studied the final locations but some of the suggestions made on this forum were accepted. Each spot will be marked with words by the Barnaby Artist in Residence, Ailsa Holland, inviting a few moments of contemplation.
More details to be found in the programme and in local papers. Barnaby kicks off on June 17th
jim kelly
jimkelly
Plodder

Return to General