Insurance Cover

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Insurance Cover

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:37 am

Welsh Athletics have now reduced the fee payable by individual athletes. Up till now £15 of my membership fee at Denbigh Harriers went to them. However this seems to have a downside - they don't provide OVAL insurance cover any more (as conveniently outlined in the back of the FRA calendar) which I thought was quite a neat costcutting trick!!!

So I want to review my multiclub membership portfolio before I decide what to do for 2007-2008

I'm a member of Denbigh Harriers and Prestatyn Running Club - with Macclesfield Harriers this would make 3! Each with their own insurance cover - would this constitute 'triple indemnity'?

Seriously though, what insurance cover does Macclesfield Harriers provide now? Does this include Accident/Injury Benefits, Public Liability, etc? What proportion of our membership fee contributes to insurance?

Just to round matters off I should point out that WFRA has it's own insurance for WFRA races but this isn't what I'm enquiring about - what I want to know is what happens if I break a leg while out training running up a mountain with one foot in Wales and one foot in England and what happens if I fall on someone at the same time and they sue me!!!
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby Julian Brown » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:40 pm

Hi Martin,

Macc H is affiliated to UK athletics.

For this, we pay £50 for the club, plus £3 for each 'first-claim, competing athlete' this year (hence me asking who's 'first claim' and 'competing' on the renewal form) - or we will do when I pull my finger out and sort it. This amount will go up next year (£5 each) and unfortunately so will the subs.

As I understand it the club doesn't have to pay for non-competing, second-claim, officials etc. - so by rights I should charge £3 less for them, but it would start getting a bit complicated (eg family member with 2 second claim and 1 non-competing.... ) so I charge the same for all seniors. (Whether non-competing, officials etc., are covered by insurance I'm not sure, we've asked UKA the question though.)

As you might be first claim with someone else, by way of compensation I'll buy you a pint.

What we get in return by way of insurance is summarised on the link below.

http://www.ukathletics.net/clubs/club-m ... nce-cover/

I honestly don't know if the club takes out any other insurance apart from this.

My best advice would be - don't break a leg - or fall on anyone, especially me, if we're going downhill......
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks Julian I'll look forward to that pint!
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:34 pm

We also pay separately for an "accident cover" policy. Chris Bentley (new treasurer) has the policy details.
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 am

A bit more about our affiliation here if you're interested, plus a form for me to fill in - I just cant wait !!

http://www.englandathletics.org/news/article-4/
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Return to General