Club Awards 07 - 08 Special Awards Nominations

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Club Awards 07 - 08 Special Awards Nominations

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm

The Club Committee would like the membership to make nominations for the following special awards. Any club member may be nominated.
You can do so here or if you prefer to do so in writing to me ( email is fine ) please do so & give to any committee member. Please do so before Friday 11th April.

There will be a nominations box in the clubhouse for the next few weeks. Please make the effort to vote for your fellow club members.

Nominations to date are listed below are in no particular order.

The Brian Kemp Memorial Trophies for Endurance.
Awarded for the endurance performance of the year for marathon or beyond distance on any surface

Male -
Harry Newton. London Marathon 07. Good for age time.
Julian Brown. Snowdonia Marathon 07. Good time.
Mark Hartell. 10th Fellsman victory + Everest Base Camp to Katmandu Run.
Ross Litherland & Mark McDermott. Tour De Mont Blanc 07. Ran together in later part of race equal 152nd in a field of 3000. 31hours 11mins.
Pete Coppack. Naylor Lakeland Traverse.
Neil King & Stephen Watts. Minimally supported Bob Graham Round

Female -
Mandy Calvert. Tour de Mont Blanc 07. 10th lady 3rdFV40 35hours 25mins.
Rachael Lawrance. London Marathon 07. 3hrs 8 mins.
Cynthia Chapman. London Marathon 07. Good for age time.
Jo Miles. 1st Lady. Bullock Smithy. 56 miles multi terrain race.

Best Newcomer to the club - Either Sex
Reece Davies.
Sarah Grady.
Tim Taylor.

Most Improved Athlete
Male - Lloyd Hilton. James Sherrat. Edward Thompson.
Female - Danielle Wallis. Sophie Hine.

Most Promising Athlete - Either Sex
Lloyd Hilton. Sam Stockman. Danielle Wallis. Jack Andrew. Clara Boothby.

Endeavour Award
Male - Digby Harris. Steve Lomas. Matt Wallis. Chris Lowe. Stuart Price.
Female - Lucy Pollard. Georgina Milburn. Jo Mott. Danielle Wallis.Jessica Simms.

Performances of the Year - Either Sex. For clarification awards are made in this category to all those deemed worthy on the decision of the club committee & invited co opted members.

Jack Andrew. Ed Williams. Tim Taylor. Harry Newton. Julian Brown. Barry Blyth. Rachael Lawrance. Tim Pattison. All nominations in the above Brian Kemp Endurance award category are also applicable in this category.

Arthur Evans Memorial Plate. Best X Country Performance - Either Sex
Danielle Wallis. Sarah Harris. Anne Farmer. Barry Blyth

Piggot & Whitfield Cup. Best Track Performance - Either Sex

Betty Sudell Memorial Trophy. Best Contribution from any Club Member.
Simon Price. Russ Williams. Kevin Ranshaw. Julian Brown. Martin Wallis.
Julie Ramsey. Bob Lynch. Pauline Lynch.

Best Team Award.
Senior Ladies X Country.
Under 11 Boys X Country.
Under 17 Boys Track

Please make the effort to nominate.

Craig Harwood.
Club Chairman & Fell Running Manager.
Last edited by Beneficial Dictator on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:23 pm

I have had a few emails & nominations mainly from coaches & team managers but surprisingly none at all from the normally forum active fell running section. Road runners are pretty quiet also. So Fell & Road runners lets be 'ave in some names suggested.

What about nominations for :-

Barry Blyth - 3rd V60 British & English fell champs 07
Julian Brown - Sub 3hrs at Snowdonia Marathon
Neil King - Minimal support Bob Graham Round
Mandy Calvert - 10th Lady 3rd Vet Tour de Mont Blanc 100 miler ( field of 3000 entrants ).
Mark Hartell - 10th ( record equalling ) victory Fellsman 60+ miler
Digby Harris - Bob Graham Round in difficult conditions ( a pretty foul night section ).
Andy Lamont - 2nd victory in Goyt Valley Fell race series.
Pete Coppack - Naylor Lakeland Traverse.
Warren Mason - potential TV celebrity for "Dating the Enemy" - this is not a serious nomination.

No doubt I have missed / forgotten other notable club members efforts
& the above are just potential nominations for the fell section.

If you don't nominate folk there efforts will potentially go unrecognised.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Neil King » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Thank you for the nomination to whoever. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, to support the evening as I am off to Scotland for my son to play Roller Hockey. Weekends currently consist of very early runs followed by taxi driving to hockey matches!!
Neil King
Plodder

club awards

Postby Tank » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:02 am

Are the recipients of club awards chosen by the committee from the list of nominations? Or do the club members complete a ballot? Or am I being a bit thick because I don't know how it all works :oops: :? :roll:
Tank
Plodder

Awards

Postby HARRY NEWTON » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:00 am

I,m sure if we all turn up to-night Craig will explain everything :D
HARRY NEWTON

Postby Tank » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:19 am

Well done to club chairman Craig Harwood and his able assistants in providing a great presentation evening on Friday night. His democratic style and obvious regard for achievements across the club was both informative, respectful and well humoured.
It was good to put faces to some of the names we hear about, especially across the varied disciplines within the club. An English champion in Athletics and a top three English/British Fell Runner is something the club should crow about as they provide excellent role models for our relatively small town club!
It was a pity that more members were not there to share the success of others, esp. those who had won awards (mainly young athletes) but were not there to pick them up and join in what should be a unique club experience.
Congratulations to the club committee and everyone who worked so hard to put on the event - your efforts are appreciated and not taken for granted. Lets hope others are as willing to put a little bit back into supporting the future development of the club.
Tank
Plodder

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:22 pm

To reply to Tanks question of "how we decide who wins the various club awards".
Nominations are accepted from all club members & officials however we do not neccesarily award to the most nominated. That would be open to abuse of you vote for me & I will vote for you & or multiple votes from one member or family. I for instance made multiple nominations but consider it part of my chairmans role to ensure that no one is overlooked be they aged 9 or 70.
The club committee & various informally co opted members mainly ex committee members & team managers & coaches whittle it down to a short list. The Club Chairman ( me ) has a casting vote if there is a hung vote but I would suggest it would be unlikely used as I would likely suggest jointly awarding.

A footnote for Tank to think on - Anonimous Avatars are fun but I would personally prefer that you reveal your identity by signing your recent at times quite provocative posts.

Cheers.
Craig Harwood. Club Chairman & Fell Running "Busybody".
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to General