Bullock Smithy - help wanted

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Bullock Smithy - help wanted

Postby Julian Brown » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:56 am

All at Macc H - particularly those who want an excuse not to do the Bullock Smithy.....

I've been speaking with the organiser (Peter Wood), and he's asked if we could look after the checkpoint at Cumberland Cottage. As I know at least a few of you won't be doing the event I have volunteered us to help.

Obviously anyone (including other halves, friends and youngsters) is more than welcome !

Basically the checkpoint is open from late afternoon Friday (say 5pm) 3rd September, until early morning Saturday (say 6am or whenever the last folk get there). Obviously people don't need to stay there all of that time if they don't want (We probably need about 6-8 folk there at any time) - I suspect volunteers for the night bit might be the hard part.

What's involved is setting stuff up (most of which is provided by the organisers but will have to be lugged up from Wildboarclough car park), checking people in, dishing out food and hot / cold drinks, and sorting out any problems (folk lost, injuries, etc.) as best you can as they arise. As it's a fair way round the route there will probably be a bit of waiting around between customers, but I'm sure a way will be found to pass the time (beer ?).

As Macc H have been taking part in the event since it started (and generally doing pretty well!), it would be good if we could help out as required, and put a bit back in to it.

Volunteers - perhaps you could put a note on the forum or drop me an E-mail, we can organise things nearer the time.

Many thanks in advance, Cheers Julian

(Oh and if none of this makes any sense to you see http://www.bullocksmithy.com)

[Julian - I deleted the apparent "duplicate" post, I presume you hit submit twice or something. I couldn't see any differences. - JB ]
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:18 am

I doubt if I'll be running, so I can do a stint.

Do we have access to the cottage itself? I have a canvas shelter (or even a tent) that we could erect if not.

John
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:36 pm

doesn't the race usually run sat pm/sun am rather than fri/sat?
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Postby thebunyans » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:01 pm

Yep, I think Julian is in BG mode...
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:09 am

Yes I was a day too soon. Sat pm / Sun am.

We are allowed in the cottage, we get the keys from one of the local scout /guide groups Fri night.

The cottage is fairly small ('homely') and VERY dark inside - a few lights would be handy !! Also it gets a bit warm in there when you're brewing up which is a bad thing really as it discourages the hikers from leaving, you have to throw them out.

It has gas for cooking (as long as the scouts haven't used it all) but no electric or water (which has to be carried up from the road).

We've been asked to supply a couple of water containers, just in case they are short - I have some of these, currently full of home brew ! so I'm looking for volunteers to drink that.

Matt (and Phil) - how was Wasdale ?
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Return to General