Buxton to Macclesfield run in September

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Buxton to Macclesfield run in September

Postby Jon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:48 pm

Dear All,

The Buxton to Macclesfield run will be on Sunday 4th September. This was the best date (not clashing with any obvious races Macclesfield Harriers will be attending). The intention is to pick a scenic and challenging route via Shinning and Lamaload Reservoir. I’m discussing this with Peter Nolan, who has some good ideas for the route. As with the Gritstone Trail this is not a race - anyone who wishes to push themselves, I will be interested to see how quick the route can be done. This route will be approx 14 miles.

I suggest we get the bus from Macclesfield (or a lift if you can) I have had a quick look at public transport and there is a special Sunday bus services provided by Derbyshire County Council. The no 58 bus leaves Macclesfield at 9:30am and arrives at Buxton Market Place at 10:00am - So a 10:15am start. I will check this is still correct.

I hope you will be able to make it. Please pass on this information to anyone else interested in coming along.

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby Jon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:20 am

I have checked with the Bus company (Bowers 01298 812204) and they have a 26 seater bus available with space for 6 standing. Please do let me know if you are planning to join us and I will keep an eye on numbers.

The cost is £2.00

Thanks

jon

j.falkner@ntlworld.com
Jon
Front runner

Buxton to Macclesfield run

Postby Alan Ireland » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:27 pm

Thanks for a lovely run and route choice Jon. The weather was beautiful and a good run was had by all (I think?) I found it a trifle warm on the climbs though, and by the time of Jenkin's Chapel I was goosed, almost dying on that steep climb into the wood where I had to use the trees for leverage. Fortunately the tea stop at Common Farm was just round the corner, but unknown to me the main party had arrived a almost devoured the place, leaving only scraps of biscuits and stale tea. But it's amazing what a cup of tea can do for flagging spirits and on leaving, like, high on a spliff one felt one could tackle anything, unfortunately the feeling didn't last long and the climb over Kerridge Ridge proved something else. Fortunately I was in good company and Lisa's support along the middlewood way and into town was much appreciated. Well done
Alan Ireland
Plodder

Postby Jon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:04 pm

Thanks Alan, good to hear you enjoyed it. It's a shame you missed the scones - they were just what was needed. I could have stayed behind and set about a plate of them! I was also really tired at the end – probably not helped by the stop at common Barn the last bit across the fields to Macclesfield was particularly tough on tired legs. I did try to get a pint (of lemonade – just a sip of beer would have finished me off!) at the Millstone to celebrate the finish but they don’t allow drinks outside! If we do this again we might want to finish somewhere with a beer garden.

I have emailed some of the many photo’s taken to John Bunyan so they maybe on the website soon.

Cheers

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby thebunyans » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:56 pm

Photos in gallery!

Looks like there was more standing around and tea drinking than running! :lol:

http://www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk/mh/photo/photo.html
thebunyans
The Boss

Buxton to Macclesfield run

Postby Alan Ireland » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:59 pm

Did you notice the picture of the girls posing at the start? If you ask me, looked more like a beauty contest than a start of a fell run. It appears Peter Nolan chanced his luck but was over-ruled.
Alan Ireland
Plodder

Return to General