Langley Fete Fell Run ?(June 2009)

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Langley Fete Fell Run ?(June 2009)

Postby sihine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 am

Hello

I have been asked by the Langley fete commitee about adding a run to the fete in June next year (last Sunday in June).

I was wondering if Macc. Harriers would like to run it? I didn't know if this clashes with other races?

I was thinking it would be quite a short race and not as long as the Tegg's Nose race at the sheep dog trials. Perhaps going up the field behind the fete from Coal Pit lane (we can get permission), up to Tegg's Nose, round that and back down??

I am happy sort it out but would need guidance as I have not done anything like this before.

It would be great to find out either way if it is possible so I can let the people know.

Cheers
Sophie
sihine
Plodder

Postby thebunyans » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

For insurance, normal practice is to register it with the FRA for £10 and the organiser must be an FRA member. This has to be done by the end of October to make the FRA handbook.

I'm currently writing a "how to organise Teggs Nose" paper since I'm standing down as the organiser of that race. That may be useful if you want to know some of the issues involved.

Take a look at the FRA website for organiser's notes, safety instructions, and the existing calendar.

The last weekend of June this year would have clashed with a race at the Whaley Bridge carnival, but it's pretty hectic during the summer, so you'll always clash with something.

As far as the route goes, I don't know who owns that land, but I would advise trying to use existing paths/rights of way if possible. You can readily get out to Teggs via Hole House Lane.

Teggs Nose country park will require a risk assessment but are generally supportive of the Teggs Nose fell race.

Good luck!
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby sihine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks

So if I become a member of the FRA and register the race with them....that is a start

Perhaps I need to discuss this all properley with Craig/someone to clarify 'Macclesfield Harriers' can be associated with this race?

If people could give me some advise on all of this that would be much appreciated! Also hoping someone more experienced with organising races will offer a hand?!

Cheers
Sophie
sihine
Plodder

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Sophie, yes you could do as John suggests & become an FRA member etc... & in principal I can confirm as Club Chairman that the club will support you & the race. In many ways organising a fell race is much simpler than a road race. To keep things really simple I would make it entry on the day only ( this is normal for many fell races ) - its unlikely you would be swamped with runners in your first year. I am quite happy to personally help you sort out a race route & do the risk assesment & probably help on the day for the first year. This all assumes you are prepared to be race organiser yourself.
Again as John mentioned above I would advise trying to avoid a clash with the Whalley Bridge carnival fell race ( Whalley Waltz they called it & it was on saturday pm) which was run for the first time this year - I ran it & it was very good & well supported. It got a good write up in Runners World so no doubt will attract a larger field next year.
If you want to talk on this further give me a call.
Craig Harwood.
Fell Running Manager & Club Chairman.
01625 424614
07940 952881
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby sihine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Great, thanks very much Craig.

I'd really appreciate a bit of guidance (eg the route), but am happy to be the organiser (with my other half Adrian - just volunteered him!). I don't think the run should be that long and entry on the day sounds sensible.

I am having a fete meeting this Monday (15th) with the commitee, so will let them know Macc Harriers can be involved in principal. I will get them to confirm they would like the run to go ahead then give you a call about it. Okay?

Thanks
SOphie
sihine
Plodder

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Okay Sophie, so it looks like you may be looking at Sun 29th June 09. As ever clashes of events are a problem as the club is likely to be having a bit of a "shindig" at the track as it will be the 10th anniversary of it opening. Oh well don't worry I'm sure both events can co exist as they don't appeal necessarily to the same runners - that said on a personal note I would like to attend both !.
If you want to get the race in the FRA Calendar ( printed book sent to all members around Xmas ) we need to get it registered before the end of Oct.
Call me as soon as you can after your meeting.
Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby sihine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks Craig
Yes, the date cannot move unfort. but nevermind.
Will speak soon
Sophie
sihine
Plodder

Postby thebunyans » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Sophie,

Can you drop me an email and I'll forward your address to the FRA fixtures secretary. She will send you an organisers pack.

John
email form
thebunyans
The Boss

Return to General