Langley Eleven, Sat 20th Sept 2008

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Langley Eleven, Sat 20th Sept 2008

Postby Pete Nolan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Next Saturday morning, I shall be running round the Langley Eleven, as part of the charity event from St Dunstans. The main event is a walk around the eleven pubs, 14 miles of road and footpath, involving bacon butties before you leave and a curry in the evening when you return.

Richard, the landlord at St Dunstans, has offered to do bacon butties for a lunchtime finish for those that wish to run the route first. I have run the route as a recce and it took me 2 hrs 45 mins, so I think we should be setting off at 9am to ensure a reasonable finish time.

The event involves a £10 donation to East Cheshire Hospice, but for this you get a bacon butty, a curry at 8pm, and a good training run. I need numbers in advance so that I can make final arrangements for the run. Can I please have names as soon as possible of anyone interested in joining the run.

nolanpj@btinternet.com
Pete Nolan
Grandpa

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Put me down for this run.
It's a smashing concept for a number of reasons:
- it's local (planet friendly)
- it's for a good cause (East Cheshire Hospice)
- it's a good pub (part of our social fabric - use them or lose them)
- it's a super route (explore your own backyard)
- it's a good distance (don't be put off, the pace will (I'm sure) accomodate all.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Pete Nolan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am

Here are some suggestions for a route.

Leave St Dunstan 9.am ish.
Up road to Leathers Smithy (1).
Follow Forest Five route to Forest Chapel then down the stoney track to Stanley Arms (2).
Could use road for next section but I suggest back up to Standing Stone and over Buxtor Hill, then drop down to Crag (3) from Shutt path.
Carry on down road for 1.25 miles then up path to Hammerton Knowl Farm and across fields to Wildboar (4). This is the only place where navigation skills are called into action. The clue is heading left for the wall corner from the bend in the farm track when level with the second farm.
Up the A54 for 200metres then right through Longgutter Farm and up to top road and along ridge to Hanging Gate (5).
Down steps passed the toilets and down to road. Use either of next twp paths on left to drop down fields to Ryles (6).
Along road the the Lamb(7) in Sutton, the go on past war memorial and take muddy little path left beside the stream and over the fields to farm and Bollocks Lane and Sutton Hall (8).
Back to Bullocks Lane and towpath along canal for 300 metres then down steps to Old Kings Head (9).
Under canal, fork left along Jarman to Churchhouse (10) and on to St Dunstan (11).
14 miles, 2hrs 30 for fast boys, 3 hrs for the hackers.
Changing facilities in toilets and bacon butties at 12 noon.
Pete Nolan
Grandpa

Postby phil cheek » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 am

Pete,count me in for this jaunt please.
Car share?
phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Pete Nolan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:56 am

Yes, I shall be leaving Ivy Lane at 8.40am and will pick you up soon after. If I have too much beer when we finish, you can then drive my car home.

I found your tribute to Polly very touching. It is a beautiful and moving little article.
Pete Nolan
Grandpa

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Come on folks try & support this event. I would be there myself but am away in Northern Ireland this weekend.
Have a great run Pete & co. Enjoy the bacon butties & I particularly envy you the beers & Curry as all I will be getting on Sat evening will be a packet dehydrated dinner !.

Cheers.
Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to General