Contacting ultratrail mont Blanc runners

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Contacting ultratrail mont Blanc runners

Postby Ivor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:55 am

I have been considering running the Ultra Trail around Mont Blanc for a couple of years, and now considering doing it in 2006. I notice from the website http://www.ultratrailmb.com/accueil.php that a number of your club entered the race and would be interest in contacting them for advice, tips and experience.

Two of the names I've found were Stephen Watts and Julian Brown, from what I recall about 7 entered from your club.

I look forward to hearing from someone

Ivor
Ivor

TMB race

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:58 am

Hi Ivor,

Yes a few of us went out there this year for the event. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it, it's certainly a hard event but then that's why you do it. It's well organised and supported, and popular (2000 entrants). We were failrly lucky with the weather this year too.

Obviously it's the sort of thing for which a bit of training is required - time on your feet, big climbs, long days in the hills etc. - would probably recommend a few of the longer / hillier fell races / Long Distance Walkers events / BG support, together with weekends in the Lakes or Scotland. We're fortunate at Macc in having a goodly number of folk who are daft enough to spend their free time in such jaunts, which helps a lot.

The other thing I (and a few of the others) did was to go out to the alps for a week / 10 days to walk the TMB (although not sticking to the race route for the most part) to get a feel for the length of the climbs / descents, terrain, weather etc.

Usual advice applies as for any long event - don't set off too fast, eat and drink lots, look after / sort out any niggles as you go along, and keep plodding !

Hope you give it a go next year, you'll enjoy it.

Julian
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Ivor » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:23 am

I plan to make my decision about entering by Christmas, once I've manage a few months of hard training to see if my body can cope. I'm familiar with parts of the area, and ran this http://www.ski-montblanc.com/RunningMarathonNidDAigle.htm in 2004. It's a great race, but could only get there 27 hours before so suffered with the altitude. One of my concerns is whether I'm good enough to complete the course, assuming I get the necessary training on the hills, I'm concerned I'd not be able to complete the course in the time allowed. I would currently expect to complete a road marathon in 03:15, would that get me round in the 42 hours ? If so what time could I expect ? I'm wearly of commiting myself to the event if I only have a couple of hours contingency.

Thanks
Ivor

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:45 pm

Blimey - If you can keep up 3:15 marathon pace for the event you'll win it.

But (as I'm sure you realise) marathon pace isn't really much help on these jaunts - it's your speed walking uphill for 2 or 3 hour stretches, and descending 800m+ in one go - especially after 20 or 30 hours - that matters. And pushing on, when knackered, in the rain / mud, in the dark, with no sleep for 2 nights... great fun - but have I put you off yet ?

I know a few folk who completed in 40 + hours - they are definitely 'walkers who jog a bit downhill' - perhaps 5hr+ marathon men (if they've ever run one) - but they keep going.

Altitude isn't too much of a problem, the TMB goes over 2500m at 3 or 4 places but doesn't stay that high long. Average is about 1500m.

I'd try to get a bit of training in as soon as possible, convince yourself you can do it, enter, and then build / keep up training / long fell races and walks, throughout winter / spring.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Ultratrail

Postby Mandy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:43 pm

As a novice to ultra-running and having just completed the ultratrail at the second attempt, I would agree strongly with Julian's comments. For mere mortals speed is less important than the ability to grind out the miles and eat and drink enough.
Staying awake for 2 nights is a challenge especially when it is raining!
I found going out to recce the route invaluable as not only is it good training for the big climbs and descents but you know where the tricky bits are.
Mandy
Front runner

Postby Ivor » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks for the advise. Alas there isn't too many fells down in Kent but at least I have the North and South downs. Maybe I'll see some of you next year in Chamonix.

Cheers

Ivor
Ivor

Return to General