Macclesfield to Hayfield…

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Macclesfield to Hayfield…

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:40 am

I know you all need a challenge to keep you motivated over the colder months ahead, so here it is…Macclesfield to Hayfield.

Starting from Tescos car park (an opportuntity to buy that drink you forgot to bring!) the route leaves Macclesfield on Hurdsfield Road to Rainow. We then follow Kerridge Ridge to White Nancy. A short bit of the Gritsone Trail and road takes us to the brick works at Pott Shrigley. From there we head straight for The Cage at Lyme Park. We leave the park following the extension of the Gritstone Trail to Disley Golf Course and then on to Strines. After crossing Strines railway station there is a short climb to The Fox at Brook Bottom. Finally we follow tracks and roads for the last three miles through Tornsett to Hayfield.

The distance is 16.2 miles (no cynical comments please!)

I plan to drive over to Hayfield this weekend to see if there is a tea shop/pub that is happy to let a bunch of sweaty(just the blokes!)/muddy runners in.

Date still to be decided – November would be ideal, please pass these details on to anyone you think maybe interested in joining us.

Any comments?

Jon

PS Try joining the forum, it takes less than a minute and helps other Harriers know what’s going on etc.
Jon
Front runner

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:35 am

I've had a quick look at the running calendar (November looks busy) and Sunday 16th October looks free, I will check this date with Bob and Tim.

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby thebunyans » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:38 am

That's the weekend of the fell relays...
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:11 pm

Hi John,

I checked the 2005 Fell Championship Races and the club calendar, where else should I look?

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby thebunyans » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:08 pm

Not sure if Nancy has put the x-country dates in the calendar, in which case you might want to look at the x-country page on the website that I updated a couple of weeks back.

There's also a contingent doing the KIMM, last w/e in October.

Isn't it good that the club is so busy!
thebunyans
The Boss

macc to hayfield

Postby phil cheek » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:39 pm

Sounds a fun outing to me,but there is a shortage of cafes in Hayfield these days.There might be one in the car park/bus station on the west side of the A624.
To save any problems with transport & make it worth lacing one`s shoes up what about Macc-Hayfield-Macc with a lunch stop in Hayfield & maybe a slightly different route back?
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:47 pm

Thanks for the info Phil, I will check out the station for a cafe. To be honest any further is beyond me but there's no reason why the longer distance runners shouldn’t extend to route.

Hope to see you there Phil

Cheers

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby Alan Ireland » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:29 pm

Good route Jon and the October date for me is no problem. Tea stop though is imperative, as would be the bus back to Mac ...err, I presume there is one?
Alan Ireland
Plodder

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:37 pm

You might try Edale rather than Hayfield - more cafe options. I "ran" from Edale home to Rainow a few months ago, that was 17+miles but fairly straightforward. To reverse it, just follow the Gritstone Trail to Lyme Park (Bow Stones), then around and down to Furness Vale, across to Peep O Day, then Edale Cross, Jacobs Ladder etc. etc. Its obvious when you look at the map.
Nancy
Elite athlete

Postby Alan Ireland » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:23 am

Now why didn't Jon think of that? :lol:
Alan Ireland
Plodder

Postby Jon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:38 pm

Date for the run is Sunday 23rd October 9:30am at the far end of Tescos (next to the Silk Rd) car park. I will check if public transport is an option, though suspect it's a none starter. The alternative is to leave cars in Hayfield or arrange for pick ups. If you are likely to have a spare place in a car could you drop me a line.

The Edale route sounds great, so that most probably will be the next one.

I will check out cafe/pubs in Hayfield this weekend.

Cheers

Jon

j.falkner@ntlworld.com
Jon
Front runner

23 october

Postby phil cheek » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:33 am

Jon,
You`ll have to count me out for that day,I`ve a do in the Lakes.
Maybe something similar later in the year.
PS,you should do Marsden-Edale first weekend in Dec if your`e into that sort of thing.
Usually a good group of Harriers do it
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Jon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:34 pm

Dear All,

After Saturday’s recce, I have made an amendment to the route. We can descend across the golf course/fields from Appletree Road into the valley for the last couple of miles along the Sett Valley Trail. Apart from the fact that this is a nice route to run, with only one mile to go (where the trail crosses Station Road at Birch Vale), we have The Special Touch Café. I have checked with the owners and they are happy to cater for a dozen or so muddy/sweaty runners – “they will wipe down the seats after we’ve gone”!

More importantly they will order cake for us – I just need to phone them before we set off and lie about the numbers!

Finally if you are planning to leave a car, try the bus station car park as it’s at the end of the Sett Valley Trail. (There is access to public toilets).

I will be leaving my car there before the run. Please let me know if you have spare seats.

Hope to see you there.

Jon
07973 629 639
j.falkner@ntlworld.com
Jon
Front runner

Cakes on order!

Postby Jon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 am

If you are planning to run on Sunday (9:30am at far end of Tesco’s car park). It will probably be a wet one so don’t forget that extra layer. If you are not sure what to bring or need more info – do give me a call 07973 629 639

More importantly the cakes have been ordered! :D

Cheers

Jon
Jon
Front runner

Postby Donworkin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:44 pm

Grey skies hovered above Macclesfield Town as 22 plucky runners made their start on this 16 miles + run, of undulating terrain to Hayfield. A good mixture of road and country produced an interesting combination of speed and stamina.
Jon had it all under control though and kept the troops on a tight leash. One felt at times though, that someone would make a break for it, then all would let loose, but fortunately that didn't happen and things went rather swimmingly.
The route over White Nancy and through Lime Park took us over very familiar ground, but Jon must have done his homework because from there on in, for most of us the ground was virtually new - and such a delight. The weather bucked up too and sunshine followed us over Strines and the hight's above New Mills, where the views across the valley to kinder were wonderful. I was surprised to see just how wooded the area really is.
As always on these forays, the tea and cakes at the end make up for any sufferings one may incur. So thanks again Jon and well done.
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Next

Return to General