Forum change?...

General discussion about the club

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Forum change?...

Postby thebunyans » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Folks - this is a "heads up" to the fact that the forum may have to go through some technical overhaul/upgrade because Plusnet, my ISP is downgrading the type of access it allows to support this type of application. The forum is hosted on my personal ISP broadband account and applications like this have always been a benefit of the service but never properly supported as a true "hosting" account would be.

Plusnet are now changing the nature of the web site hosting attached to their broadband accounts that may mean that I have to shut it down and get it going again within plusnet's new environment, or move it to a proper hosting company separate from my broadband ISP.

I'll post here with updates as I find out more about the changes. Note the main website is already on a hosting company that Nancy and I use for other professional sites so it will not be affected and any news will also be posted there if the forum goes down.

One thing I would like to know, is how much value people put on the historical content of the forum - i.e. if I was to set up a new one, how important is it to move over all the old posts and their identities from the current forum to any new one?...

John
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby phil cheek » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:24 am

John,
The history is useful sometimes
eg I couldn`t find my copy of last year`s handicap results & was able to go back & find them(not sure whether that was homepage or forum)
But I can`t see it would be a big deal if it were lost.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Mr Turnip » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 am

History is an essential part of any organisation. Archive is integral to that history and as the song goes, "don't it always go to show, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" ..
I still have all my copies of the Harriers Magazine from issue 1 and wouldn't dream of chucking them out. They occupy the shelf next to my cherished "Meanderings of an old Turnip" which are equally precious.

I don't know what extra work (or cost?) would be involved in keeping old forum stuff, but please consider very carefully before pressing the delete button.
Mr Turnip
Mid pack runner

Postby thebunyans » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:02 am

I doubt if it would mean any extra cost, just my time and stress in trying to upgrade and preserve the data.
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Mr Turnip » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Just so. The work and effort involved in maintaining this superb website does not go unnoticed even in the realms of Turnipdom. I think that the final decision must be yours Mr B. If I could help (ie have the skills and knowledge) in any way to ease the workload, I gladly would.
Mr Turnip
Mid pack runner

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Ah do I see a potential club archivist volunteer. Something I have been giving some thought too in the last couple of years that I have been Club Chairman. As far as I am aware the only other person with a complete set of club mags is Bob Lynch. Seriously we should have a proper archive & a named officer to deal with it.
Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to General