Knee tendon issue

Discuss your general health and injuries along with associated treatment or diet etc here!

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Julian Brown

Knee tendon issue

Postby DominicTook » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I've not been out running since the summer, so about 6 months now I'd say. I've been to the physio, got my orthotics changed and all sorts, but nothing has helped and I can't find any exercises to strengthen the outside tendon of the knee. The problem isn't as bad as it was, but I can feel it even when I walk down into Bollington from my house in Kerridge and back (So yes, a few hills there).

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever had any similar problems and ever found any exercises that helped? I think my podiatrist did mention a health clinic for sports, in Withington, or somewhere in greater Manchester that might be able to run tests, but i've not been able to get through to him yet to get the full details.

Any ideas are appreciated anyway, I do miss going out with the club :(

Cheers,

Dom
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby philjan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Dom,

I'm not a qualified health practitioner, just an enthusiastic amateur with an MSc in Sport&Exercise Science, and a certain amount of knowledge acquired through a chequered injury history! I'm just on my way back to fitness after 9 months out with a hamstring tendinopathy.

I may be able to advise, (or suggest who you should see) if you can give me a little more information on your signs, symptoms, diagnosis and prognosis from whoever you've seen so far. Did you sustain any bone or joint damage or just soft tissue? Which particular muscle/tendon unit is affected? The rehab for a tendon would depend on how long ago the problem started, whether it was a traumatic or over-use injury, whether it is just an inflammatory condition or whether there is any change to the tissue structure itself, and whether or not the muscle belly has suffered an insult. Also, do you know for sure there is no nerve damage, either in your leg or your lower back?

Happy to offer advice, but If you can get down to Alsager, I do know a good physio there who is excellent at following through with rehab.

Phil Janaway
philjan
Plodder

Postby DominicTook » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks Phil, I appreciate this.

I first started getting the problem late summer, probably August I think, start of. It came on very suddenly and it was after learning a new technique to run downhill that the problem was exacerbated. This involves doubling stride length, rotating the elbow out (A bit like a chicken haha) and allowing yourself to glide down the hill basically. Great for speed, but I reckon it really wrecked my knee. I just remember getting pain on the outside of my knee and then it going incredibly stiff.

I did some more research today, it's the LCL Ligament that's affected. The one on the outside that connects to the thigh bone I believe and it has defiantly affected the thigh band muscle, but that's stopped now.

The pyhsio did some intensive work on the knee cap more than anything, but I remember that fairly vividly as I went to the Isle of Skye not long after. That just inflamed the tendon to be honest and it took WEEKS to heal. I'm not really sure this is ever a good thing, they did explain that might happen, but with two separate conditions I've had the same treatment and the same inflammation, so I don't have much faith in the physio.
The podiatrist altered my orthotics but I think after 3-4 months that's actually made the problem worse. So I've completely removed those now, which is helping, but not completely adjusting the problem. (Diagnosis/Prognosis/Physio treatment was Trinity House in Macclesfield and Stuart Fletcher was the Podiatrist)

From symptoms I read on other websites, I don't appear to have torn it. My symptoms at the time were a near lock up of the knee joint, a little pain and a fairly large swelling on the point where the lcl ligament joins the lower bone, on the outside of the knee (It's a squidgy spot I find hard to find for me)

You know I think Stuart mentioned Alsager to me, you've just jogged my memory...might be the same person. Anyway I don't think there's any real nerve damage, I had been out and had lower back pain recently (Which is a little strange as I've been cycling 12 miles three times a week for the past 4 months pretty faithfully.) I had to take painkillers to get rid of the back pain, hence why I mention it, but I doubt it's a symptom.
The thigh muscle band (I have forgotten the name of it now) was also a bit of an issue to begin with, but seems to have cleared up completely.

As I've mentioned walking exacerbates the problem and as most websites say, pivoting is a bad idea.

Thanks Phil!

Dominic
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:30 pm

Dominic,
There IS a great physio in Macc,he`s called John Griffiths.He & his Dad have kept my body together for 20+ years & between them have only said the dreaded " don`t run" a couple of times.
John will either set about mending you, or tell you where to go for more help.
Forget the "Honey"pot spin machine,Try JG.
Tell him I sent you & how much I bigged him up,does no harm to keep the young sprog on his toes....after all he`s only as good as his last successful treatment.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby DominicTook » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Hey Phil,

I will try John, hey now I've got that sort of glowing testimonial there's no way he can't be nice! hehe. Good recommendations are what I need though, so I appreciate that mate.

Not seen you for awhile, then again I've not been out with the club anyway. But I hope you're well.

I will give him a ring tomorrow and have a chat about what he can/can't do. I do think the tendon is getting better, it's not tender any more, but it's one of those "iffy" injuries.

Cheers!

Dom
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby DominicTook » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi Phil,

Booked in with John tomorrow, so hopefully he will be able to help rehabilitate the rest of the muscles/joint.

Cheers,

Dom
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby DominicTook » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Just got back from seeing John earlier, he was much more sure of what was going on. He basically said because my biomechanics are so "interesting" I need to get some more orthotics made up or else the problems only likely to get even worse.

So at least I have something I can do now. Thanks for the referral as well Phil, he was kind to me on price. But I bet the orthotics aren't cheap, nor will a brand new gait analysis.

Cheers,

Dom
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby DominicTook » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to let B group people and others know that I'm managing to sort out the issue with my tendon now. Looks like my biomechanics were the main issue, with all the pressure of my left foot fall, being aimed into the front of my foot and then into my left toe. Which has caused fractures and metatarsal tearing in the past.

Anyway, it's not been cheap but I should be sorted and back out soon enough. I'm sure by then I will be sick to death of the Gym!!

Thanks for the help Phil, John did a great job.

Best,

Dominic
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Return to Injuries and Health