Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis

Discuss your general health and injuries along with associated treatment or diet etc here!

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Julian Brown

Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm sure there are more injuries around than the contributions to this topic suggest. Anyway for what it's worth here's mine.
It goes by the mouthfull name of posterior tibialis tendonitis. I've had it for about four years now and the symptoms were and to some extent still are, soreness on the inside of the ankle with aching arches which if left untreated makes it almost impossible to run. The post. tibialis tendon is involved in supporting the foot arch. Like many cheapskate fell runners I have paired my expenditure on fell shoes over the years down to the bone (or maybe that should be tendon). Fell shoes have little arch support anyway and if you wear them to death they have even less. So I'm paying the price of my false economy. Problem diagnosed by combination of physio (Mike Honey) and podiatrist (Stuart Fletcher). Solution = custom made orthotics (approx £60) and excercises plus fell shoes with better support than say, Walshes or Gladiators. Hasten to add there is nothing wrong with either of these brands, you just have to buy shoes to suit your feet. So where am I now. Well the orthotics, after a period of getting used to them, do help greatly but they don't solve problem completely. You have to choose shoes carefully and change them well before they are falling apart. Do the exercises. Oh and never get out of bed. No sorry that would be the response of the joint chair of the Cumbria Health Trust who so lambasted the organisers and competitors of the recent OMM - don't want to overburden the NHS with our trivial complaints do we. They are only interested in smoking, alchohol and bad diet related conditions aren't they? Hey I'll rant if I want to.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Injuries and Health