Glandular Fever

Discuss your general health and injuries along with associated treatment or diet etc here!

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Julian Brown

Glandular Fever

Postby Declan Murray » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Hopefully the whole swine flu craze will come and pass but one illness that is here to stay is glandular fever. No doubt most of you have had it/come into contact with it in the past. So i'm not here to spout medical advice which i am the least qualified to give. Only to offer the old (if slightly wimpish) warning that rest sometimes really is as important as a run or training session.

The student lifestyle of late nights, alcohol and the stress of 'studying' no doubt contributed to my contraction of the fever. But more than that it was my runners mentality that uneccessarily increased the recovery period. Slow runs and below-par sessions made me determined to work harder and push myself further meanwhile unknown to me my immune system was working like crazy to fight off the virus.

So basically remember to listen to your body because that one voluntary rest day could in the long run help avoid 60-odd forced rest days as your body recovers from the beating you gave it. Glandular fever is most common for 15-35 year olds but can affect anyone at any age so just be aware there might be another reason behind your poor performances.

For more reliable and scientific information visit:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Glandular- ... ction.aspx

Happy illness-free running,
Declan
Declan Murray
Plodder

Return to Injuries and Health