Fractured rib

Discuss your general health and injuries along with associated treatment or diet etc here!

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Julian Brown

Fractured rib

Postby Nancy » Mon May 28, 2012 9:44 pm

It turns out that after a few months of coughing and intermittent chest pain that I've got a fractured rib. I think it is on the mend but have not yet discussed with the doctor. Does anyone have any tips (aside from not laughing)?
Nancy by name...
Nancy
Elite athlete

Re: Fractured rib

Postby phil cheek » Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Nancy,won`t make a good avatar.But sounds ugh.
Barnesy has a real visible wound from Jura.
Well done to both Phil & Brian for getting it done.....talk to them & YOU WILL be there next year.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Re: Fractured rib

Postby Julian Brown » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 am

They told me I'd fractured a rib or two when I came off the bike after hitting a sheep past the Highwayman. (Sheep was unscathed, but the bike mangled which was my main worry as it wasn't my bike).

It hurt quite a bit in cetrtain positions - twisting / turning, and sitting / lying down mostly, but strangely not much whilst walking and running, so I carried on as normal, but perhaps eased off a bit on the steep descents, as I didn't want to fall.

Docs didn't have too much to offer, other than 'if it hurts don't do it it's probably making things worse'. After 4-6 weeks and I didn't really notice it. Good luck !

Well done Phil and Brian by the way !
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Return to Injuries and Health