Shin Splints

Discuss your general health and injuries along with associated treatment or diet etc here!

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Julian Brown

Shin Splints

Postby DominicTook » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:31 am

I've had these plus tight calves for ages and i don't like going on about them. But its really annoying me. I know all i can do is moderate my running, but after last week there not in the best way.

Somebody who did a lot of running years ago told me and showed me some of the excercises he did to re-inforce the muscles around the anterior shin bone. But my Physio's never told me about these.

Does anyone know of ways to enhance the strength of the muscle next to the shin bone?

I hear it goes after a few years of running, most people seemed to have had it just "dissapear" at some stage. Seems to be a younger thing, though i might be wrong.
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:45 am

Avoid running downhill on HARD surfaces. Run off road for a bit. You have to allow the inflammation to go.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby DominicTook » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:47 pm

I might have to do that then for a week.

I think Jon said that last night as well, was hard to hear over the sound of the water though...lol

Sure i can find somewhere, cheers Barry,
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Dominic I don't suppose you have hairy toes, wear a floppy/pointy hat and are a distant cousin of Bilbo? If so you could have a genetic predisposition to lower leg issues. But I digress. Further to what I said; If you do have to run downhill on a hard surface try to zig/zag to reduce the impact.

Keep on running (uphill)

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby DominicTook » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:43 pm

You know, now that you mention it....Not the first one to see the Took assocation tho ;)

Yeah uphill is far easier i must admit, right i will get doing that till it quiets down a little bit. I was enjoying the group running as well, nevermind.

Thanks Barry,
DominicTook
Mid pack runner

Return to Injuries and Health