recurrent calf strain

Discuss your general health and injuries along with associated treatment or diet etc here!

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Julian Brown

recurrent calf strain

Postby brown dwarf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 pm

Anyone got any tips on a recurrent calf strain please? Is a sports physio the only way? I was back and running, managed a 17mile race without problem 2 weeks ago .. then twang it went again yesterday in the Fell Relays. - that's four times in 5 months. Now I think it's going to keep happening even when I think it's cured. Not a good feeling :( .

Any ideas appreciated.

Phil
The only planet known to orbit a brown dwarf is 2M1207b ...
brown dwarf
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 am

Phil,
Physio is the only way.I`d put money on John Griffiths having you mende in no time,just make sure he knows you`ve had recurrences & how you`ve treated it.John also has access to a very good podiatrist(Mark Hughan) so in case it`s gait related they would work on it together.
Tell John you`re a Harrier.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby brown dwarf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks Phil - do you have a phone number for him please?
brown dwarf
Plodder

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Phil, sorry to hear about the injury I should have spoken to you more on Sunday about my experiences.
I have over the years repeatedly strained both calfs & have found electro accupuncture very effective & quick as well ( running again after a couple of weeks ). My problem may not be the same as yours, mine being perpetuated by my running style which is very up on my toes & forefoot striking. Before finding this treatment I used rest & physio & found them pretty ineffective.
When I've been injured the pain is quite specifically right in the middle of the calf muscle deep in the leg & physio has struggled to get that deep. Electro accupuncture is quite a wierd, mildly uncomfortable feeling at first with the current flowing in through carefully placed needles above & below in the calf. Your toes are wiggling but you are not moving them !. If your symptoms are the same as mine it may be worth a try. Two or at most 3 treatments at around £35 a time ( from memory, about 2 years ago since I last needed ) in conjunction with some sessions cycling, static gym bike or road bike spinning in low gear & no standing on the pedals. These cycle sessions to warm the muscle & encourage blood flow to the injured area. Don't know of anyone in Macc who offers the service I have been to accupuncture pracititioners in Cheadle Hulme & last time to another out on a farm at the back of Roaches area. I can look out the details if you contact me. I was originally diagnosed by a genius of a doctor, physio, accupuncturist when I lived down in Leicestershire & these days know what seems to work for me. Give us a call if interested. M 07940 952881 or H 01625 424614.
All the best for a Speedy recovery.
Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Phil,
John`s number is 432152,he`s just off Churchill Way,2 minutes from Kings.Not sure that he has electroacupuncture,he ceratinly does acupuncture.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby brown dwarf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for all this guys - remarkable! I think I'll start with the non-electric version and see how it goes ... wow.
brown dwarf
Plodder

Postby Mr Turnip » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:13 am

Sorry I couldn't let this one pass ...

have you tried Turnip Oil?
Mr Turnip
Mid pack runner

Return to Injuries and Health