Head Torches

Discuss the pros and cons of all that lovely kit you can spend your hard earned cash on.

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Head Torches

Postby Hazel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Help!! Am doing Dusk to Dawn in just over a couple of weeks and realised the torches I have may not be good enough. Can anyone recommend a reasonably light headtorch with a good strong beam, with batteries that last for a good few hours and are easy to change (some of the backs of torches are awkward to get off)
Hazel
Elite athlete

Re: Head Torches

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 pm

You can borrow my Ay-Ups if you need to Hazel.

http://www.ayup-lights.com/lighting-kits?product_id=1
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Mr T » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:55 am

I've got one of these Hazel. https://www.alpkit.com/products/arc

Jon T.
Old enough to know better, daft enough to still give it a go...
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby Hazel » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Many thanks Phil and Jon for your posts, and for your extremely kind offer for me to borrow your Ay-Ups Phil. Am going to check out Jon's suggestion. They sound as if they are very good and not too expensive. Thanks again.
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Not sure what torch Hazel took in the end, but it certainly did the trick - as she finished second lady on the Dusk Till Dawn 50 mile ultra !!

Well done Hazel !!
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks Julian. The dreaded stomach played up big time (as usual) from just over half way so ended up staggering, grizzling, cursing and sometimes running the rest of the way!!!!!! It was the most amazing night incredibly clear on the tops and along the Mam Tor - Losehill ridge there was virtually no light pollution so could clearly see the two planets still in alignment (sorry can't remember which ones) and numerous stars. When the moon first came up it was staggeringly beautiful, a great orange mass on the horizon until it rose right up in the sky. Added to that where there was such a heavy dew torch light lit it up as if it was a thick white frost, again quite beautiful. No, I wasn't halucinating and going all silly, it really was stunning! When I started to drop into the Castleton valley it was into fog so torches didn't help at all, but thanks to knowing the route and seeing people's "footprints" through the wet grass navigation wasn't a problem. I had a complete panic about torches 2 days beforehand. When I first posted, I had forgotten I had a Petzel Nao with spare battery so decided to take that. 2 nights before the event I went and tested it out and it completely malfunctioned. I scrolled down all the posts on forum and found Clare's post about Trevor at Brightnightlights. I phoned him up and he very kindly said I could go and see him at his house and after long discussion I ended up getting a Bicycle Light, a Sanguan SG-T2200. The battery is a bit on the heavy side, but the upside of it was that when I finished in 13hrs40mins the battery still showed up to 70% full. This was on the lowest setting which was more than bright enough. The downside for me is the weight of the battery, plus having to wear a rucksack each time I use it (I don't like bum bags). Trevor was amazingly helpful and I would recommend him to anyone who wants a torch light, be it for running, orienteering or cycling.
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby LNNIGEL » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi,
I was just about to post an ad on the forum regarding headlights! I have these for sale at £4 a light. The light comes with batteries. I have never used one yet but they seem to work ok and for £4 you cannot be robbed.
if you are interested I am new to Macc Harriers and currently run every Tuesday night with Steve and Sue from 6.30 onwards.
I can bring them along and you can try one out.
Call me on 07791478121 or just look me up on Tuesday night I will bring one along anyway. If you want one urgently I live in Alderley Edge or we could meet up somewhere?
Cheers

Nigel
LNNIGEL

Return to Fell Running Kit