Street Orienteering - 7pm Wed 22nd Dec. Waters Green Tavern.

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Street Orienteering - 7pm Wed 22nd Dec. Waters Green Tavern.

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:11 pm

All club members are invited.
7pm prompt otherwise you are likely to miss the start.
This low key event is an annual feature on the fell runners run calendar being the last Wednesday evening before Xmas.
It's a sort of running treasure hunt with no prizes of any value ( their may be the odd chocolate bar awarded, often for no particular reason - could be the highest score, but then it could be the lowest or maybe best Xmas running hat or leggings - we have even had a Xmas song singing competition in the past ).
Road runners can come & play too as long as they don't run around to fast & show all us dodery ( speaking for myself ! ) old fellrunners up. Solo's & pairs are allowed as are generation pairs ( father & son etc... ).
If not for the run, come for the beer, we will be installed for drinking purposes by 9pm at the very latest.

Cheers & a Merry Xmas to all I do not see before Santa comes.

Craig Harwood.
Self styled Fell Running Guru ( has been ) & Club Chair ( Comfy ).
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Craig,I won`t run tomorrow cos my knee won`t do tarmac.So I`ll come down to help.
Also do we need the 10 or so"warning runners" signs that I have to get to Mike?If track training isn`t on on Thursday Mike needs to be able to access the containers for direction signs.
Let me know.I`ll just walk down tomorrow unless someone contacts me to organise collecting signs.
Finally,The O kit is with me & I`ll get it to the clubhouse in the Newn Year when the track is operational.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Mike Nelson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Phil,

Please can you bring your signs on Wednesday and I'll pick them up from the pub. Not sure yet if it will go ahead on Boxing Day, I'll see how the conditions look over the next couple of days.

Mike
Mike Nelson
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi all,

the orienteering will be generally as previous years...

90 mins starting at 7pm prompt - ie back at 8:30 latest or you'll be sent over the road to order 20 portions of chips.
A3 map and clue sheet provided, don't think we'll need to worry about it being rained on
usual selection of daft clues
BRING A PEN AND A WATCH unless you're very good at remebering odd facts and estimating 90 minutes
A working knowledge of the pubs and takeaways of Macc would come in handy, even better if you have a job numbering lampposts.
any cheating will get you disqualified, we have our spies.

Jo's done the clues / map and made a much better job than I would so many thanks to her.
See you at the pub (Waters Green Tav - opposite the station)
Cheers J&J
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks for turning up ona a bit of a cold and slippery night.....

Results in no particular order...

Brian McF (walking) 13
Bunyans x 2 28
Hazel & Kerry 35 (2nd !!)
Mandy and Martin 32
Steve Wood 23
Mike Nelson 28
Colin A 31
Craig 33 (3rd)
Ewan 36 (1st but only just !)
Dave H 32
Phil B 28

and map / clues

http://www.mh.k313.com/mh/fell/o%20clues%202010.pdf
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:30 am

Would have loved to have been there, but away in the IoM for Christmas (where it is even icier than Shining Tor) :cry: .

That is:

Snow = :)

Ice = :cry:

Was planning the MMM route but discretion being the better part of valour, may just do half of it :roll:

Merry Christmas to one and all, see you in the New Year :)
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Well done Hazel and Kerry, it just goes to show there is more to running than just charging about like a maniac! (not thinking of anyone in particular of course).
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Road Running