LANGLEY 7 - 2011 RACE ORGANISATION - URGENT ASSISTANCE

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

LANGLEY 7 - 2011 RACE ORGANISATION - URGENT ASSISTANCE

Postby Dave Buxton » Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 am

Many of you will know that, along with a core team from the Harriers, I have helped organise the Langley 7 road race, which takes place in early November each year. For the last 3 years I have taken on the role of overall race organiser but made it clear last Autumn that 2010 was my last year in that position.

So far noone has stepped forward to take the role on. It is really (honestly!!) not too onerous - though my work commitments are making it impractical for me to continue dealing with pre entries etc.

Organisation needs to get underway by mid to late July in order to get everything in place. It is a great local race, well regarded by the participants and raises a decent amount of cash for charity. It would be a great shame if the race was cancelled due to our collective inability to deal with the race administration. :oops:

I firmly believe that at a club like ours everyone needs to step up to the plate at some time, otherwise all the duties fall on the shoulders of the few. I feel that Ihave done my bit - does anyone else have the inclination to take it on? If you fgeel you can help then please get in touch on 07789 798526 or reply to this post.

If noone steps forward the race will be at risk of cancellation. :cry:

Regards

Dave
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

LANGLEY 7 - UPDATE

Postby Dave Buxton » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Mmmmmm...60 views of my post but as yet no replies or offers to step in. I have a horrible feeling we will be announcing the cancellation of the Langley 7 before too long.

I am not complaining. Rather I am just pointing out in the absence of a clear lead on this then cancellation is the most likely outcome.

Dave
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:26 pm

This is deja vu Dave. Back in 2005 (I think), the demise of this popular race was forecast if nobody were to come forward as organiser. I felt at the time and feel now that this is a crazy situation for a club of 400+ members to find itself in. At the time I really didn't want to organise a race (there are people in the club who would undoubtedly do a better job), but to see it fall by the wayside because of apathy, lethargy, idleness or modesty about one's ability to take on such a thing ... is well, preposterous!

If you can organise yourself to get up in the morning, get to work on time, check your emails, reply to them, remember what time lunch is, eat it, pretend you are not asleep in the afternoon .. then you have all the qualities required to organise a race. Alright you do need a bit of enthusiasm and willingness to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in, but it's not difficult and it's immensely rewarding to hear participants saying things like what a fantastic event, so well organised and will definitely do it next year.

That's if there is a next year.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Road Running