Entering Races

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Entering Races

Postby Nicky Tasker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm

I've seen a few comments about lack of attendance at races, especially ladies. I'm not sure what the answer is but do have a couple of suggestions. One is more promotion and explanation of the Cheshire GP table, then maybe people will understand how entering will help the club? Another is to discuss the upcoming races at the running groups, perhaps the Leaders could promote them?

Nicky
Nicky Tasker

Re: Entering Races

Postby MuddyBird » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Some good points Nicky!
I think people could experiment more and try things they may not have initially have thought of.
I train almost exclusively off-road and run longer distances but have really enjoyed some 5 mile and 10K races on-road this year which I found out about through the magazine (which I believe we all receive).
I also found out in the same manner about the cross-discipline challenge and ran some cross-country last season. Again, thoroughly enjoyed it and will return in the Autumn/Winter.
If you can get your name on the email list you may also hear about track events. I am no track runner but am certainly up for giving anything a go. Much better to try and fail than never turn up at all!
I have noticed some of the road runners taking part in fell races recently with some excellent results!! Long may it continue!
Sarah Ledbury
MuddyBird
Plodder

Re: Entering Races

Postby Keith Mulholland » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks for posting this topic, as Road Running Manager, I would like more people to get involved in races. The Cheshire Grand Prix rules are in every issue of GO. Basically the top 100 eligible (i.e. Cheshire Club members) men or 50 women in each race get points 100 or 50 for 1st place, 99 or 49 for 2nd place etc. For each club 6 men or 4 women count as a team.

Currently Macc Men are 4th on 2255pts behind Vale Royal (2507), Wilmslow (2635) and South Cheshire (2720).

Macc Ladies are 5th on 483pts behind Spectrum Striders (536), South Cheshire (690), Vale Royal (758) and Wilmslow (899).

So, we are doing OK but things could be better.

I was thinking of changing the Club Championship for next year, keeping the same scoring for Cheshire Grand Prix races but giving extra points for other road races completed as club members so a 5k to 5mile races would get 1 pt, 5mile to 10mile 2 pts, half marathons 3 pts,14-20 miles 4pts marathons 5 pts.

The idea is to concentrate on the races in the Cheshire Grand Prix and give people credit for all the other races that they do.

What do people think of this?

Wilmslow RC have a different policy in that members have to do 6 races a year for the club or they lose membership. They get excellent turnouts for races (usually 40+) but I personally would not like to impose this policy.
Keith Mulholland
Plodder

Return to Road Running