Ben Smith's 401 Challenge - you can join in

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Ben Smith's 401 Challenge - you can join in

Postby Neil Gunn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello - a long post but please read to the end...

Some of you may have seen information about Ben's 401 challenge on the club Facebook page but in summary... Ben is running 401 marathons in 401 days. On the 1st September 2015 Ben set out on the most challenging and rewarding experience of his life. Details here. http://www.the401challenge.co.uk/

Quote from Ben below...

"I will be undertaking a ‘World Record’ attempt which will see me run 401 marathons in 401 consecutive days around 309 different locations of the UK mainland. The challenge will aim to raise both awareness of the issues of bullying in our society along with £250,000 for two amazing charities dedicated to tackling bullying. The two charities are called ‘Stonewall’ and ‘Kidscape’. Both these charities work tirelessly to support award winning initiatives which really get to the heart of bullying in our UK schools and society in all its forms."

The £250,000 raised through generous donations from UK business’ and the public will help support both these charities carry on the amazing work they do.

On Monday 11th January 2016 Ben will be running in Macclesfield supported by Macc Harriers (he will be back in April 2016 for another marathon with us). Ben and the team will need help with food, accommodation, therapy etc (this is now sorted) ...but most importantly Ben will need us to run with him either all or part of the way.

The first time Ben is with us (Monday 11th January) we will be running two laps of the Macc Half route - it will not be fast and Ben hopes to have people come along who may run further than they have run before. He will be starting at ~10.00am from the track (hopefully with a number of juniors who will run the first mile with him on the track) and I really want to have runners to support him all the way. We plan to have a 'pop up' cafe along the route (well, a camper van with tea and cake!)

So - if you want to help and can free up some time (for the first lap or the second lap, or even both) then please contact me on 07786 855027 or neil.gunn@gmail.com

I'd love to make his time with Macc Harriers one to remember!

Neil Gunn
D Group Leader/Club Treasurer
Run for your life!
:-)
Neil Gunn
Elite athlete

Return to Road Running