Macclesfield Half Marathon

Moderators: Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:16 pm

Well nobody else contributes to the road section of the forum - but it's as I always thought - the literati of the club reside in the fell running section.

Anyway enough of that bit of fun .. it was with grave apprehension that I walked the mile from home to the start of the Macclesfield Half (or mini as the starter lady described it) marathon. I knew I was in for a hard 'un when the mile walk took me nearly half an hour!

Arrived and found myself in conversation with a man with an Aberdeen club vest and an accent exactly like that of Mr Murray! But this man was of another era. Maybe Raph in years to come. We wished each other the best and made our way to the start.

Perhaps the warning signs should have been heeded when the neurones were screaming "stop .. stop .. stop" at three miles, but pride took over from good sense and the race had to be run.

I can't remember a race where the marshalling was so good and so abundant. Well done all you unsung heroes and heroines.

I finished and slunk away to the cool of the men's lav. where I sat for 5 minutes to reflect on the meaning of life.

Having reflected I emerged (having metamorphosed) and took inspiration from watching late finishers like the 73 year old man who looked like he'd actually enjoyed his outing.

A pretty good show Macc Harriers Club.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:41 pm

I agree Mr Ardron, a race to challenge Wilmslow for supremacy with good support and organisation. Readers may be excused for thinking Colin's getting past it from his comments but he went off like a ferret round an athletics track at the start before whizzing off down the hill faster than an ambulance trying to get pass him. A grand morning out. Thanks to everyone.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Return to Road Running