Fell Running with Boris.

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Fell Running with Boris.

Postby Tom Whittington » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:39 pm

With all club activity on hold, hopefully for just a few weeks, here's an update on where we've been and where we're going.

First, I cannot state how grateful I am for all the enthusiasm with fell sessions since June, it has been incredibly rewarding. We have had 96 different runners out during that time as well as an unprecedented number of groups, routes and locations, which is awesome. The highlights for me have been runs over Roaches, Edale, Kinder and 'Not-A-Race', but seeing the uptake within Green groups has been particularly special; inclusivity is at the heart of this. Comments back have been appreciated and well received, but in fairness all of this has only been possible through the dedication and support of 18 leaders and Not-Marshalls. Thank you all.

Secondly, for those that have stayed away or have concerns over the conduct of our group sessions, I want to reassure that we have remained carefully within the government guidance and made huge efforts to ensure that group sizes and separation were maintained. I appreciate that everyone has a slightly different barometer when it comes to interpretation of the rules and some may feel that we should have stopped well before the second lockdown. It’s a question of balance. We have persevered because the risk of mental health issues during this time are unprecedented and the sessions we have held over the summer have made a difference. In turn we will restart as soon as we can, but respect that some may stay away until the sentiment is one of a safer environment. I look forward to a time when all will be back.

Thirdly, Lockdown#2 rules allow us to run with one other person. It may seem strange that we can mix up who the other runner is, but the rationale is again one of wellbeing and with common sense and maintained distance is to be encouraged if you are fit and well. It is good for motivation and another face might be just the tonic you need to get through the repetitive cycle of lockdown life. The Montane Lapland Virtual Ultra, a 70/140 mile challenge over 12 days in December, might be just the focus you need to get you through to Christmas with no guilt of gluttony.

Finally, we are now sufficiently organised within the Fell group that the Wednesday Night Fell Runs have a schedule of locations and leaders for the next 12 months. So Boris permitting, in December or *insertdatehere* we will simply revert to the schedule, hopefully with a relatively seamless transition between future lockdowns. If possible there will be something special in December to make up for the lack of Handicap, subject to what opens up and when. More fun and frolics will be planned for 2021.

In the meantime, stay fit, healthy and happy. Cheers and virtual hugs, Tom
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running