Bob Graham training

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Bob Graham training

Postby John Bunyan » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:15 pm

After getting reasonably fit towards the end of last year I suffered a calf problem and then had some bug/infection of some sort that has kept my running to a minimum for the last 3 months... in fact just after I made up my mind to go for a BG attempt!

I think I'm better now and I have about 3 and a half months to get fit for the attempt. I think I can budget the following sessions:

A long run on the weekend (any length - local or lakes)
fell runners run wed night
one other evening run
one early morning run
two lunchtime runs - 40 mins

Question is how should I use these sessions? I live in Rainow, so I was thinking of the early morning session and one evening session doing hill reps for at least an hour up and down kerridge.

Is this the best use of the time - building strength? - or should I just be clocking the miles up?

What sort of mileage should I be aiming for per week?

Any comments welcome, especially from past BGers!

John
John Bunyan

bg training

Postby phil cheek » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:46 am

john,i don`t think you`re far wrong,a few ideas.
back to back long days i think are essential,make yr lakes trips count by doing sat & sunday.
do your short runs with a pack,i did repeated climbs of teggs or the edge.
extend wed nights,which tend to b e pretty short these days by running to &/or from the venue,with a pack
do all the long lakes classic races,ennerdale,county tops etc....several of these are sat so you can yse them for back to back weekends

a group are doing keswick to dunmail tomorrow morning(6.30) i will be doing that or thelkeld to wasdale(10.00ish at thelkeld).interested? if so phone me on 01925 242300 today or at annettes tonite
phil cheek

Re: BG training

Postby John Bunyan » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:42 pm

Thanks for that Phil, I'm calling off my attempt for this year - I've not been getting out as much as I had hoped too and I just don't feel I have the base to build on for this year. I'll still be doing BG training though, so any further thoughts from folks appreciated! - I expect anyone else doing an attempt would welcome discussion on training too.
John Bunyan

Return to Fell Running