New member - fell training and racing with Macc Harriers

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

New member - fell training and racing with Macc Harriers

Postby Steve Briggs » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:25 pm

I have just moved to the area from Scotland, having been hill/fell running for about 12 years off and on, but more off than on over the last few years! My job makes regular club commitments difficult but not impossible. I have a few questions

1 Does the fell section from Macc H only train on Wed nights
2 What sort of training do you do - apart from wed night runs of 1-2 hrs, what about track work, speed sessions, hill reps and that sort of thing?
3 How active is the club in racing and where are the main venues?

At the moment I am on yet another come back! so am not sure when I should start coming along to club night as my fitness is not great, but getting better.
Steve Briggs

Postby AndrewHiggins » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:54 pm

Steve

I'm not a fell runner so I can't answer (1) & (3) but as for other types of training. The road runners train on Monday & Thursday evenings. This can include hills, intervals etc but it's not planned or structured so it's just a case of turn up and see what happens. There's also track training on Tuesday evenings.

Also probably worth pointing out that once the evenings are light enough again the 'road' runners stick pretty much off road. The faster (B) group of 'road' runners run from Teggs Nose car park on Mondays in the summer - that seems to attract a fair few of the fell runners too.

Hope this helps,
Andrew
AndrewHiggins
Plodder

Fell Training with Macc Harriers

Postby Mandy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:17 pm

Steve

In addition to the training that Andrew mentioned, there is a track training session on a Tuesday evening 6:30pm at the Leisure Centre.

There is a club fell championship, which operates throughout the year and there are at least a couple of races each month. In addition there is a "wednesday night championship" mainly local short-medium races. So most weeks you will find somebody from the club racing somewhere!

Just come along on a Wednesday evening, see calendar for venues. There are all sorts of standards from quite fast to fairly slow.

Hope this helps
Mandy
Mandy

Return to Fell Running