Request for leader/flock - transpennine boneshaker :))

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Request for leader/flock - transpennine boneshaker :))

Postby Kathleen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi, I have been very inspired by lovely views from train commuting to Sheffield and always thinking what it would be like to run across those ridges!! Emma B is kindly putting a whim into action and so was wondering if anyone is keen to lead a route along with Emma one weekend and keen to run all or part of the route ? I have no nav skills whatsoever but I can see there are stations on the route (Hathersage, Hope, Chapel) so there are opportunities to meet or duck out at these I believe! It says on google maps 11.36 hours to walk it (34 miles:-0) so a great day out, or would be keen to try any part of it, thanks!!
Kathleen
Plodder

Re: Request for leader/flock - transpennine boneshaker :))

Postby david tucker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 pm

In the good old days we used to run the Sheffield Town Hall to Macc Townhall relay Race every year across the Pennines. All local clubs were unvited to this low key but competitive event and many Macc Harriers used to compete, some more extinguised than others now!.

There are a plethora of routes and plans to either use the trains or just run the whole distance along many routes, ridges, fells and moors to enjoy the area. One classic is to get the train to Grindleford from Edale then run back, or to Shefield & run back or vice versa etc......A route along the Dewent Valley is very scenic for a flatter route or over Kinder for something more hilly and wild. The options are endless. Besides me , there are plenty of folks who can tweak a route with Emma for a cracking day or 2 out.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:23 am

That's great Dave! I've got some vague ideas of route from the Sunday runs, so would be good to plan a route with some help ! Maybe we need to bring it back!!!!
Emma
Plodder

Postby bollygill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:47 pm

can I follow the herd? sounds lovely
Gillian
bollygill
Mid pack runner

Postby Kathleen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:39 pm

How exciting! I can't believe there used to be a hall to hall race - bet you were all great! Ah thanks so much! Sounds like there are lots of lovely choices that you guys know like the back of your hams:). Throwing out some dates but are any of these any good? If not, if you let me know what days are better,hopefully I can sort it ! 7/8th October, 5th,19th, 25th/26th Nov, 2nd/3rd Dec. Thanks again :)) really looking forward to it !
Kathleen
Plodder

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Okie dokie - I'm going to say the 19th November, I'll put it on Facebook as well! This gives me time to plan a route with some help!
Emma
Plodder

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Bloomin great to have you along Gillian! Time for another adventure!
Emma
Plodder

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Might be up for it; or some of it as it's day after a North Staffs cc and there's a dance Sat night.
I remember doing the relays a couple of times Dave. A fun event.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 pm

I think we should resurrect the relay route in memory of John Kershaw who devised and organised the original relay - where a baton containing a letter from the Mayor of Sheffield was carried to the Mayor of Macclesfield. I have already mentioned it to a few of the 'older' club members who think it's a good idea. There are enough of us around who remember the original route. For some reason it was always run in the flippin' coldest, horrible weather. Pete Nolan and Colin Ardron i'm sure can advise
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Kathleen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Wow - sounds like a lovely history to it too :) with loads of knowledge :)). Thank you!
Kathleen
Plodder

Postby david tucker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 am

These are the checkpoints as I remember them:-

Sheffield Townhall to Macclesfield Townhall
Leg 1 Sheffield Townhall, Pinstone St, Sheffield S1 2HH to Redmires Reservoirs GR 256 851
Leg 2 Redmires Res to Townhead Bridge, Nr Hope (path / road junction)GR 168 845
Leg 3 Townhead Bridge to Rushup Edge (roadside lay-by) GR 092 824
Leg 4 Rushup Edge to Furness Vale. (On road below level crossing) GR 009 836
Leg 5 Furness Vale to Macc Townhall.

Not sure of the exact location of the Redmires at the end of leg 1. The route between each checpoint, as far as I know, was not defined but up to each team to follow what they thought was the quickest way. Route choice was part of the race. Although tresspassing was not officially allowed some liberal interpretation of what was a public right of way was adopted to add even the smallest advantage.

Any records of routes and results would be interesting if anyone can dig them out!

david tucker
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running