Slovenia June 2017 and Pobrdo Trail Running Festival

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Slovenia June 2017 and Pobrdo Trail Running Festival

Postby YorkshirePudding » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:24 am

We are going to Slovenia next June for a walking, climbing and running holiday. You are welcome to join us on this “Slovenia experience”.

The plans are in place for a week away (12th – 19th June) in the beautiful mountains of Slovenia. We plan to include a variety of activities including competing in a tough Trail race, attend a local Trail Running Festival, climb Slovenia’s highest mountain Triglev, stay in a mountain hut, experience WW1 ‘via ferrata’ and run in some great mountains.

The holiday plans include participating in the Pobrdo Trail Running Festival (15th-17th) which is based in a small village in the area. All the races start Saturday morning and some finish even on Sunday! The Trail running festival site is: http://www.gm4o.si/en.html

We are planning to participate in the GM40 event, injury and fitness permitting!

There are 4 races of varying lengths,
- Mini run (1-3km) for the kids and
- GT12, 12 km, 150 participants, Average time 1hour 30-40 mins and time limit 2 hours 30 mins, Climb: 800 metres (or 2624 feet), Entry fee: €15 before Xmas,
- GM40, 42 km, 400 participants, Average time 6-7 hours, Time limit 9 hours, 5600m (ascents: 2800 m, descents: 2800 m) or 18k feet, Entry fee: €40 before Xmas..
- UPT 100, 105 km, 100 participants, fastest runner 13 hours but average 19 -20 hours, Time limit 30 hours, Total 6800 m climb (or 22k feet), Entry Fee €60 before Xmas. It is also a qualifying race for the UTMB.

Talk to any of us if you fancy joining up with us for all or just part of it.

Kind regards

Richard, Matt & Graham
aka Richard Ainley
YorkshirePudding
Plodder

Re: Slovenia June 2017 and Pobrdo Trail Running Festival

Postby YorkshirePudding » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:13 pm

So we have all returned safely back to Macclesfield. Some of us fatter (large Pizzas, cheap beer and Ice cream in Slovenia), fitter (steep mountains, clear lakes, and well marked trails) and some of us injured through doing too much at our age.

The holiday was a great taster of the beautiful countryside in Slovenia and for me personally my first long continental mountain race.

We all (Matt, Graham, Gillian L and Emma B) started the GM40 which was an off-road mountain marathon with double the climb of Ben Nevis, Graham unfortunately picked up an injury mid-race and I managed just 28km of the 42km which having had back surgery about 18 months ago that was quite enough for me. Matt, Emma and Gillian were amazing in finishing the course and the biggest cheer of the day was for Gill who achieved 3rd lady overall. This is an great achievement for her and brought international glory to Macclesfield Harriers, as the other runners on the podium were national mountain running champions from Slovenia this was a fantastic performance.

So in summary if you considering a overseas holiday which involves trail running, climbing, via ferratta, mountain walking, lake swimming, mountain biking or just eating and drinking I fully recommend Slovenia, especially Lake Bohinj and the Triglev national park where we went. And if fancy a real challenge try the Pobrdo Trail Running Festival which is local friendly cheap and very tough....perhaps you can try to beat Gills performance and finish 1st or 2nd place? Now there's a challenge.....

Se vidimo v slovenščini or see you in Slovenia
aka Richard Ainley
YorkshirePudding
Plodder

Return to Fell Running