Christmas Street Orienteering Wed 20th The Vale

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Christmas Street Orienteering Wed 20th The Vale

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Just a jog to your memories for the annual Christmas Street Orienteering.
Turn up at 6.45 for a 7pm start on Wed 20th at the Vale. As it will be busy I would suggest car-share or parking by the recreation ground or in the ranger station carpark over the road.
It is a 90 minute run. Solo or in teams as you prefer. Map and scoresheet provided, but bring a pen/ pencil and a polly bag, and a head torch for them dark lanes and footpath shortcuts. The usual naff prizes are to be won by whoever does least badly.
Food will be served in the Vale until 9.
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Re: Christmas Street Orienteering Wed 20th The Vale

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:51 am

Wednesday is potentially wet. New maps should be waterproofish, but bring a polly bag just in case.
No registration fee, but I will be collecting donations for East Cheshire Hospice.
Please remember to bring back any of the naff prizes from last year, so there can be an attempt to redistrute them.
Also look out for other runners on the night. Bollington Harriers are doing the same course at the same time - but from the Poachers.
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 pm

The maps will be on waterproofish paper. Bring something to write with... biro or pencil both seem to work reasonably ok.

I've heard from someone who has seen the maps that much of the course is on roads (so perhaps wear something bright and luminous), but there are some offroad options (so perhaps bring a decentish torch and possibly some trail shoes).

Finding the answers to the clues should not be too challenging if you're in the correct location: but you might want to listen to a few words of advice before you start, and/or read the answer sheets.

I've no idea how many are coming so I've printed 'some' maps: if it turns out not to be quite enough you might have to share/run together.

See you tomorrow !
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Dave Buxton » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:18 pm

What? Return my hand crafted Petronus Tower? I have become very fond of it but will do the decent thing and return it. Doubt I will see it again though....
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Dave Buxton » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Many thanks to Andy and Julian for organising another fun,filled, festive frolic along foggy yet non frosty roads. Had a great time and was gob smacked at the young un's speed out of the traps and his overall score. Well done indeed to Mark. Happy with 2nd, denying Tucker, as seemingly he could not read one of the answers properly. Petronus Tower, complete with hastily arranged "engraving" by the scorers, back on the shelf at home.

Cheers

Dave
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Hazel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks Andy. Great fun as usual. Interesting drive home. Stayed on main road all way back to Buxton, but fog so disorientating I completely 'lost' where I was, and at one point going up to Cat and Fiddle was convinced I was going downhill!! Really scary! I didn't have a drink, honest!
Hazel
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running