Fell Running Nostalgia

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Fell Running Nostalgia

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Not sure where to post this with at least three options (used to be four) so plumped for the medium with the longest survival coefficient (so far :twisted: )

I meant to post this on 28th December which would have made it exactly 24 yrs ago but things got in the way so here it is now - an unedited snippet from my running diary from another century .....

28.12.93 - a note on a splendid outing to the Lake District. Starting at 6am drove up through sleet and slush on the m/way. Joined the crowd at the car park nestling close to the foot of Cat Bells. Snow lay down to lakeside level. Twelve plus me started out. Followed ridge to High Spy - Dale Head - Robinson - Newlands Hause. Split into two groups - fast to Rannerdale Knotts; slow to Knott Rigg, Ard Crags, Scar Crags, Outerside, Stile End, Barrow and back to the car park. Lots of snow and good clear views. Distance slow group 13+ miles. Who out: Mark Hartell, Dan Parker, Ray Eagle, Geoff Pettengell, Mike Hartley, Dave Miller (?), Anne Stentiford, Phil Cheek, Annette Morris, Alan Ireland, Jim Kelly, Paul Driver, and me. Stayed in Hazeldene B&B Crossthwaite Rd. Keswick, £16. Pheasant - Jennings.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Re: Fell Running Nostalgia

Postby Donworkin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Ah, such memories, Col! I think Mark McDermott was there as well ? Dodgy underfoot in places, if one remembers.

Was it really 24 years ago? How prices have risen in the meantime, and one’s stature shrunk. Ugh! :(
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Re: Fell Running Nostalgia

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:04 pm

You may be right Al re. Mark MacDermott being there, the memory fades a little! I recall it was a pleasant day for weather but the going was a bit slow with the snow and the yetis and that. Beer was good in the pub :)
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running