Fires

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Fires

Postby Hazel » Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am

Due to the hot dry weather there has already been a number of moorland fires in the Peak District. Yesterday there was a devastating one on Big Moor, one of the Eastern Moors over Sheffield way, where over 50 hectares was burnt. It is a moor rich in wildlife and the most heartbreaking sight was birds coming back looking for their nests when the fire was out. Many of the fires are caused by arson, campfires and BBQ's. My daughter was amongst a huge number of people fighting the fire and as many of you know I fought many moorland fires before I retired. It is a frightening, dirty dangerous business and the reason I am posting this is ............ please, please please if you see smoke instantly dial 999 giving the location as best you can. Don't assume someone has already done so. If you see anyone with a BBQ or anyone smoking if it's at all possible have a word asking them to put it out. Our moorlands are a precious resource to us all, whether for recreation, wildlife, water gathering, a carbon sink, it's where we run free
Hazel
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running