Fell running weekend away - Final Details

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Fell running weekend away - Final Details

Postby Tom Whittington » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 pm

The weather forecast looks decent at the moment! Finger’s crossed. Although for a true training and navigational experience we ought to pray for hail and gale.
Here’s what you need to know…

Saturday Day
Main plan for Saturday is a take on the Hodgson Relays route. The course is usually made up of four sections, but can be simplified and combined into one glorious circuit of 20ish miles and 2,200m climb - if you’re so way inclined. From High Street to Fairfield the route is essentially on the Joss Naylor Challenge. However, there are several options for shorter or easier versions.
http://hbmr.org.uk/leg-routes/

The first two of these sections is about 11 miles and 1,200m climb that finishes at Kirkstone Pass, where there is a pub and a bus stop. Or it is 6 miles on the trail for an easy trot back down the valley.
Leaving the campsite around 9am we’ll head onto Leg 1, which takes us up to Boardale Hause and Angle Tarn. The Relays course then drops to Hartsop, but most of us will stay high and carry on up to The Knott where we converge onto Leg 2 and follow that to Kirkstone Pass. Buses back to Glenridding @ 12pm/2pm/4pm.

For those that want more, Leg 3 goes up to Red Screes and over towards Hart Crag. Again the true route drops down 500m for 2km to Woodside and then back up to roughly where you were, so we’ll probably switch onto Leg 4 at this point to Fairfield and St Sunday Crag before dropping back down to Glenridding.

We’ll discuss who’s doing what Friday night/Saturday morning.

Friday Eve
I’ll be arriving 5-6pm (anyone else arriving earlier can collect the key). Gill has kindly offered to make a veg chilli for Friday evening. It would help to have an idea of numbers so please speak up if you would like something when you get there (bring bowl/spoon). As people will be arriving at various times might be worth having a few drinks at the bothy so bring what you think need. Any group game ideas welcome!

Saturday Eve
I have booked a table in the Travellers Rest pub in Glenridding 7pm (a few minutes’ walk away). All of us can be accommodated, or bring your own dinner to the bunkhouse if you prefer to eat there. We’ll be ordering food separately to keep things simple.

Sunday Am
Various options depending on what people want to do and whether they plan to race in the afternoon. I'm taking my wetsuit...

Sunday PM
2pm Dale head fell race for those that haven't broken themselves completely on the Saturday. I imagine some will not plan to do this so Saturday morning so we'll need to work out how to shuffle people about and back to Macc. We can stop in Keswick before after the race to refuel.

Facilities
The bunkhouse is basic. There is a bed for everyone, but you'll need sleeping bag and pillow. There is also no cooking equipment other than a stove, so if you want some chilli you will need a bowl and if you want a brew you will need a mug! Bring your own hill food, snacks and breakfast etc. There is a breakfast bar serving bacon rolls etc from 730am (assuming still operating). I’ll bring tea bags and milk.
Cost is £30 per person for the two nights – please bring cash.

Transport
Looks like people are already discussing this. We need to try to gauge who needs a lift up on Friday and who plans to leave Sunday morning or Sunday afternoon. Being most unhelpful I am going to be in the Lakes already on Friday so can't offer any lifts. Happy to drive people back to Knutsford after Dalehead FR Sunday afternoon.

People coming:
Rob Gittins (with Charlie)
Graham Brown
Emma Beveridge
Fred Wardle
Den Masset
Christine Geraghty
Catherine Voyce
Steve Lomas
Matt Lewis
Gillian Lindsey
Dennis Kentrop
Trevor Longman
Barrie Thomason
Kerry Riley
Tom Whittington
Steve Swallow
Mark Burley and Nathaniel Booker are coming on Saturday but staying elsewhere
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Re: Fell running weekend away - Final Details

Postby Den » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Gill. Please could I have a portion of your tasty chilli , thanks.
Lifts- I am driving and taking Catherine. We plan to leave Macc as soon after 4pm as poss, if that is good for anyone else.
I have a game for Friday Tom. I will bring the necessary equipment!
Den
Plodder

Postby mhlewis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:31 am

Hi Den,
Yes please for a lift, anytime after 4 pm. I can walk up to the hospital for easy collection.
Thanks!
Matt
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby CatherineV » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Gill, Veggie chilli for me too please! Thanks for offering to make it again.

Thanks for booking the pub Tom. Sounds good to me.
CatherineV

Postby Den » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Matt
Of course you can. I have your number so will liaise via text. I cant seem to reply to forum via my phone.
Den
Plodder

Postby STEVE LOMAS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:11 am

I would like the chilli please Gill.
STEVE LOMAS
Plodder

Postby Tom Whittington » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 am

Looks like car sharing we have:

Den, Matt, Catherine

Gill, Trev, Broony, Barry

Mark, Nat

Rob, Charlie

Steve Swallow (camper)

Tom (in Lakes already)

Dennis?
Steve Lomas?

Has anyone heard from or have contact details for Fred, Christine and Kerry?
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby Steve Swallow » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:16 am

Hi All,
Just to confirm myself, Fran and daughter Mary will be staying in the van Friday and Saturday. Could we also request some of the lovely veg chilli please if the pot is big enough :) We’ll obviously contribute to costs and bring cake etc. Would also like to eat in pub on Saturdsy if possible.
Re car share we could bring one extra in the van - not sure what time we’re leaving yet but will be after work - hopefully an early finish..
Very much looking forward to it
Cheers Steve
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby Tom Whittington » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Apologies all - I will have to increase the cost for everyone to £35 per head for their stay in the bunkhouse. We've had several last minute cancellations and there wont be enough to cover the hire otherwise unfortunately.
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby STEVE LOMAS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

I am going up in my car. I will not be running or walking during the day on the Saturday and I need the car because I plan to go for a train trip from Carlisle on Saturday. I'm happy to give anyone a lift up to Ullswater but I shall be returning home early on the Sunday morning or possibly after the meal on Saturday (I would pay for the Saturday night on any outcome). I do not know what time I will travel up on Friday yet. I am happy to give anyone a lift.
STEVE LOMAS
Plodder

Postby mhlewis » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks Tom for organising and for a great weekend.
The HBMR route was a revelation and I'm raring to go back and try it again.
Cheers,
Matt
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running