Galatzo Trail, Mallorca, Sunday 15 March 2020

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Galatzo Trail, Mallorca, Sunday 15 March 2020

Postby mhlewis » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 pm

I was planning a trip away for a Mallorca mountain marathon in March, but I find that I am no longer free that weekend so I can’t do it. However, having done the research on the trip I thought I would share it here in case anyone else fancied giving it a go.

http://www.galatzotrail.com/en/

The Galatzo Trail is a mountain marathon/half marathon in a UNESCO World Heritage national park in Mallorca. This is a great location because flights and accommodation are inexpensive and plentiful. The climate in March is 17°C average maximum and 8°C average minimum, with only 4 days of rain in the month.

The races
Marathon:
· 43 km
· 2200 m of ascent
· One cut-off time: 5.75 hours at 31 km
· Estimated winning time 4 hours 15 minutes, maximum time 9 hours
· Five food stations (at 10, 22, 31, 34.5, and 39 km)
· Need to bring own cup, flask or camelback
· Cost: €40 until 31 December, €45 in Jan and Feb

Half marathon:
· 23 km
· 926 m of ascent
· No cut-off times
· Estimated winning time 1 hour 45 minutes
· Four food stations (at 7, 11, 15 and 19 km)
· Need to bring own cup, flask or camelback
· Cost: €25 until 31 December, €35 in Jan and Feb

Travel
Direct flights from Manchester to Palma Majorca with Ryanair are currently <£100 round trip (eg. £92 return for outward departure Sat 06.45 from Man and return departure Mon 10.40 from Palma Majorca).
Offset your carbon here: https://www.worldlandtrust.org/appeals/plant-a-tree/
Transfer from Palma airport to Peguera (1 hour): A11 scheduled bus service, approx. €5 one way or numerous other options.

Accommodation
There are loads of hotels in Peguera, as well as self-catering villas. It is off-season, so prices are low. The race provides a free transfer bus from Peguera to the Start on race day (Sunday), and home again at the end. The start is about 5 km away from Peguera as the crow flies, but over a huge hill. Registration is on the Saturday afternoon/evening in Peguera.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running