Fell Running Weekend 27th-29th March

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Fell Running Weekend 27th-29th March

Postby Tom Whittington » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:29 am

Following our fun fell running weekend away in September we have another weekend outing planned for the end of March. A chance to catch up with old and new friends and explore some new places!

Two races are on offer on the Saturday and both count towards the High Fell Series:

1. Coledale Horseshoe (14km/915m) is one of my favourite races; an 'M' shaped course, largely on obvious paths with a long slog up Grizedale Pike and long fast descent off Crag Hill.
https://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/C ... HFRCH.html
Note this race is pre-entry

2. Eskdale Elevation (20km/1455m) is in my favourite part of Lakeland and takes in a summit of Illgill Head, above the famous Wasdale Screes and Scafell and is a more serious navigational experience in poor weather.
http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/eskdale.htm

It goes without saying that entrants are expected to be able to navigate off the fell in poor weather, but Coledale is a good race for those wanting to improve their high fell experience and on a clear day the nav is uncomplicated. Equally there is no obligation to compete in order to participate in the weekend. Sunday, subject to legs and weather, we can take a morning hike/trot around some less familiar, but easy fells. Look on .

Accommodation will be in Eskdale YHA in West Cumbria. The cost for 2 nights should be no more that £45, but I am aiming for closer to £30 if we are organised and can book shared rooms. The sooner people commit the cheaper it will be! If you want a place please let me know ASAP (next few weeks please).

Cheers, Tom
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Re: Fell Running Weekend 27th-29th March

Postby mhlewis » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi Tom,
Great!
Count me in please.
I'm happy to share with anyone -- beautiful young ladies, horrible old men, whatever
Thanks for organizing!
Matt
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby bollygill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks for organising Tom!
Count me in. Similarly don't mind unisex sharing of dorms if that makes organising easier.
Gillian
bollygill
Mid pack runner

Postby Tom Whittington » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:36 am

Wow - I am blown away by the response for this post. 17 people are already coming to this event!

I have booked accommodation for 20 people with just 3 more spaces available (including max 2 men or 3 women) - after that there will still be the chance to book your own space in shared dorms directly with Eskdale YHA, subject to availability.

If you want to grab a space please message me ASAP (07968 550304) and I'll send you payment details.
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby Tom Whittington » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:44 am

Such a great response I have had to book another room. We now have 5 rooms booked, with 22 Places gone and 1 mens and 1-2 ladies places left.
Any more takers?

Cheers, Tom
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby Matt Lynas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi Tom,

Please also count me in - willing to share with anyone. Being a new member I have no knowledge of who might snore :)

Regards
Matthew Lynas.
Matt Lynas

Postby Woodsie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Thank You for organising Tom. And, fyi: I don't snore
Woodsie
Plodder

Postby Tom Whittington » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi Matt (Lynas),
Could you send me a text/give me a ring to discuss? Sorry missed this before, but rest assured there is still availability. If you're on FB link into the event as I'm a little quicker on the updates there.

Thanks,
Tom
07968 550304
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby Tom Whittington » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 pm

UPDATE: This is looking to be a great event! We have 23 people coming and paid up. One place up from grabs in female room. Any more than that and there is space available direct from the YHA, although it looks like I might be booking another room as have a few more interested.

Race entries are now open for Coledale Horseshoe (http://ellenboroughac.com/coledale-horseshoe/). It would be useful if people could post if they plan to do this race as I suspect most people are thinking of doing Eskdale Elevation (enter on day).

Friday night we’ll eat at the YHA, which allows for flexible arrival times. We’ll discuss nearer the time whether to cook something or eat the hostel meal on offer. Saturday night we’re booked into the Woolpack Inn for dinner, which is a few minutes hop from the hostel (https://woolpack.co.uk/). There are some lovely easy runs/walks around Eskdale so please plan to stick around on Sunday until lunchtime to loosen the legs off!

All we need now is the weather – I’m up in West Lakes now and it is like Cat & Fiddle on a grim day!

If you plan to come and haven't paid then I haven't logged you yet. Please call/text 07968 550304.
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running