Peak District Open Moorland - Closed due to Fire Risk 1/5/07

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Peak District Open Moorland - Closed due to Fire Risk 1/5/07

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Tue May 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Its happened very early this year due to the exceptionally dry April etc...
Posted on the Peak Park & BMC websites, signs should be going up at Access points now. Open moorland ( off of public rights of way ) are closed until further notice ( ie. until we get some significant rain ).

Therefore tommorows run from Coombs will be limited to footpaths and we will not be running around the unofficial ( not a right of way ) Coombs Moor perimeter path. As a large ( 30ish ) identifiable group I feel we should lead by example & comply with the temporary ban. The beer at the Beehive will be unaffected !.

No doubt the more radical fringe within our membership ranks may wish to flaunt this temporary ban. They would do so without the clubs support.

Craig Harwood. Fell Rep & Club Chairman.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Fire

Postby Stephen Watts » Wed May 02, 2007 3:04 pm

I can confirm that the signs have now been put up warning members of the public not to go on to Combs Moss because of the risk of fire. I will therefore lead the assembled gathering, together with the radical fringe :? , along only official footpaths and other rights of way that remain unaffected by the temporary ban. However, anyone wearing manmade fibre clothing or shoes liable to static discharge, and those likely to emit combustible gases (or any other runner likely to set fire to the ground) are asked kindly to refrain from attending. Whilst the club, under the leadership of our worshipful master, fell rep and club chairman will not condone flouting the temporary ban I think a trail of small fires on the public rights of way to flaunt our membership of Macclesfield Harriers is probably also unacceptable.
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby thebunyans » Wed May 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Please can everyone that wears glasses ensure they do not stand still at any time on the moor in case sunlight is focused through the glasses on to combustible material.
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Fortunately with the last few days with some rain the fire risk is now in recession and the closure lifted ( 10th May 07 ). Closed Signs are now being removed at access points. Lets hope it stays that way & that we get regular rain showers ( in hours of darkness preferably ) to keep the risk down throughout the summer period.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running