Wednesday night fell running sessions will resume this week

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Wednesday night fell running sessions will resume this week

Postby Tom Whittington » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Wednesday night fell running sessions will resume this week (16th). Hooray!

Last week MH committee agreed that training can happen as long as we follow the current rules as set out by the government, meet in small groups, are mindful of risk assessments and the public, and have leaders carrying first aid and basic PPE equipment.

After some deliberation, the following seems the best approach – to be reviewed. Please help by following it as best you can and expect teething issues!

1. Events will be posted on Facebook. This has been done before, but for now people will need to be on the attendee list before they turn up. Please ensure you only say you are going if you definitely can as you may otherwise be stopping someone else from coming. Sorry, I know not everyone is on it. Its not my fault and it is the easiest way!
2. Two groups of 6 in week 1. Each with a leader, who will carry med kit/PPE etc. There will be a fast and slow/intermediate group, each running for around 60-90 mins. Approximate running routes will be posted to whet the appetite. The two groups will have to ensure they stay separate – especially when in the car park.
3. If demand exceeds expectations then we might have additional groups in future weeks. However, we need to avoid creating a crowd and filling car parks, so if we increase to more than 2 groups there will be two separate venues.
4. The signing up process is not very sophisticated. You need to click on “going” on the event page on Facebook. When doing so if there are already 12 attendees on the event page, please don’t add your name. Instead, post a message on the thread to get on the waiting list. From week 2 onwards, if there are three or more extra people that want to come we will have a 3rd group put together, and then the attendee list can increase to 18. I might be getting ahead of myself here! Once signed up please state in the Thread whether you want slow/med/fast pace so I can allocate groups.
5. Newbies/Injuries> I am keen that we are also open for business for anyone that is new to fell running, or returning from injury and is intimidated by the mountain goats. We’ve all been there. We need to encourage and nurture! Leaders will always be happy to adjust the pace if necessary – it goes with the territory, so don’t be shy. Ultimately we want to get back to having a ‘slow group’ too, which incidentally needs a much less derogatory title! If you fall in this camp now and are keen to get out let me know, we have several leaders willing and able.
6. All runners to carry gloves and mask – a buff will do. You’re not expected to run in them, unless you want to. This is essentially for emergency situations and to ensure we’re being respectful of the guidelines.

When I took over as Fell Manager it wasn’t with the intention of directing people on how to adhere to certain rules and behaviours when out running. It’s not part of fell running culture. However, these are unusual times and right now it is necessary as long as we are running as part of a club to follow as best we can the Club’s position. If you prefer a laissez faire approach, or do not feel ready to join the sessions, no problem. You will be warmly welcomed whenever that is!
Everyone has been affected, or reacted to the pandemic, or interpreted the rules in slightly different ways and we need to be respectful that others might think differently. Some of us might feel that that there is little risk of illness or spreading the virus, while some of us may have been deeply affected by it. This will ultimately affect the way we each respond to the loosening of lockdown, with the risk that those ready to return to normality could alienate those that are not, if their conduct is seen to have a disregard for the rules. When running with the club, please bear these things in mind.

However, having stated what I must, I should add that I know of few groups that are more caring and respectful than the Harriers, and I can’t wait to for things to get back up and running and see the lovely bunch of people for more adventures in the hills. Hopefully these extra measures are just a temporary fixture anyway.

Best regards,
Tom

Ps. Wednesday 16th run will be posted Monday evening. In future run events will be announced Friday/Saturday to give people more time to sign up.
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running