Another BG Attempt, 25 / 26 June

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Another BG Attempt, 25 / 26 June

Postby Julian Brown » Mon May 23, 2005 3:40 pm

All at Macc,

I've been asked to ask around, to see if anyone is interested in supporting an attempt by Pennine on the 25th / 26th June, starting 1am Sat, clockwise. (For some reason there seems to be a view that Macc are quite good at this sort of thing.)

I appreciate that there are a lot of other things on that w/e (I know of another BG and a Ramsey for a start) and many people will be busy elsewhere.

However if you are at all interested in going along, (even if it's just to eat their food / drink their beer), or know anyone else who might be, perhaps you could contact the folk at Pennine (in the 'cc' box) direct, (rather than me!), they can no doubt give you the details.

Cheers Julian
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby warren mason » Tue May 24, 2005 6:23 pm

Can't see the 'cc' box for the Pennine contact details - have you got a name or number of the "contender" (I'm gradually picking up the lingo).

After some reflection & a bit of encouragement last weekend, I'm going to give it a go and I'll try and team up with this other person if appropriate (the date is good - my 40th birthday) but the starting time of 1.00am seems to have as many drawbacks as advantages. I will give him/her a ring and discuss it if you have their number.
warren mason
C list celebrity

Another BG Attempt

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue May 24, 2005 9:26 pm

I have been associated with 14 attempts on the BG and only one started at 1 00am - all the others were at 6 00 or 6 30 pm. Two distinct disadvantages of the nocturnal start - you are in affect missing out on two nights sleep and secondly as Mr Cheek has already so pointedly remarked - the pubs are shut when you finish. I really think contenders should be more considerate of their supporters needs!
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Another BG Attempt

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed May 25, 2005 9:04 am

And I should also have said - have a good one Warren. no matter what time you start and remember it's about having fun. I should also commission Julian to bake a cake - the one he produced at the post Stephen festivities was more than exceedingly good.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Leigh Wykes » Wed May 25, 2005 11:08 am

Warren, good luck!! I am up for final leg as i will need to cut short a break in Hereford and drive up from there on Sunday morning.
Leigh Wykes

Postby Julian Brown » Thu May 26, 2005 10:10 am

Warren / Leigh,

- you can E-mail darren.dunn, or AndyLHowie, or penninefr at astrazeneca.com, aol.com and btinternet.com respectively, also have a look on www.penninefellrunners.org.uk [email addresses editted by admin to prevent SPAM crawlers from harvesting them]

Alternatively accost anyone you meet in a red and yellow vest (that is if you don't mind waiting around at the race finish for them to turn up). Of course (he says tongue in cheek) if you wear your Macc vest they'll probably come running up to you for advice.

John Doyle and Stuart Crabtree are I believe the contenders. Somebody at Pennine should have a number for them.

If I were going for a quick round I'd start at 1am and go anticlock, Robinson first, aiming to get back before it got dark. Otherwise, I reckon the way we do it (6pm clockwise) is as good as any and better than most, and it certainly makes it easier to get supporters out (the thought of that pub...).

Let me know what sort of cake you want and I'll e-mail you one (it may contain 'interesting' substances designed to make you run faster - don't forget I work at a drug factory.....

Cheers Julian
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Last minute BG questions

Postby warren mason » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:16 pm

Last minute BG questions,

1. best way off Dollywagon - zig zags and to the left of the tarn or old fence line and to the right of the tarn

2. I don't normally have knee problems but after 12 hours last weekend both knees (just above and to the inside of the kneecap) got very sore going downhill - will knee supports significantly help ease the pain

3. Does 5, 7, or 9 minute rests at the crossovers really save that amount of time later on - i.e. do you save 7 minutes if you have a 7 minute rest? What is the optimum rest period?

4. Will periodic stretching help much during the event or does it have a neutral affect and use up time?

Some of these may seem small minute savers but I think I need every advantage possible if I'm going to do 24 hours.
warren mason
C list celebrity

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:59 pm

For my money.... others probably have different thoughts .

1. best way overall is off dollywaggon SW down the grassy / rocky slope to the west (right) of grisedale, and then up fairfield on the 'track'.

Until I tried the other way I thought it would be better, coming off dollywaggon there isn't a lot of difference (bit further but less height loss), but the climb of fairfield from the E of Grisedale is appalling - the 'track' from the west isn't brilliant and a hard slog but a lot lot better. also it then becomes an out and back which helps the pacers / and means you can leave stuff at the bottom (pref. with a torch on) and pick up on the way back.

Another tip in the dark or bad weather is to have one (or more) of the pacers stop say 100-200 yds before the top of fairfield, this makes it a lot easier to find your way off again - top of fairfield is a confusing place for some reason.

supports - just try them they can't harm your attempt and may just help. I believe Barry used a walking stick too for some of his - try that as well if you want.

stops - stop for as long as you need but no longer, 7 to 10 mins I suppose is enough but 7 mins doesn't take long to pass - get your road support to tell you when you've been there for 5 mins and get going again ASAP after that. What the folk who stop for 30 minutes do I don't know (mind you I used to do that on long distance walkers events), it's just as hard once you get going again.

stretching - whatever works for you ! - I just try to stride out a bit whilst walking up the more gentle gradients and not push too hard on the descents, save the knees as best you can !!

And the very best of british luck to you mate, beats just going down the pub for your b'day and you'll remember it for a lot longer !!

Cheers Julian

PS does anyone fancy supporting someone else on the same weekend starting 11pm friday (24th) night - currently short of runners for legs 3 (start approx 07:15) and leg 4 (start approx 13:45), if so have a word with me (will be at Boar's Head) or drop a message with me either here or by E-mail (astrazeneca.com) and I can put you in touch.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

b.g. weekend

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:08 pm

warren, i may be in the lakes that weekend, should know by wed (boars head) let me know if you still need support

matt (mjkh at fsmail.net)
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Return to Fell Running