Welsh 1000m Peaks

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Welsh 1000m Peaks

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Thanks for your encouragement on the Pyg Track yesterday Craig - hope your team got up OK. Unfortunately the day was overshadowed by tragedy - one of the service competitors had a fall off Carneddau Llewellyn in thick clag and died later in hospital. First fatality in a North Wales event ever apparently and hopefully the last.
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:32 am

Always sad to hear of serious accidents & fatalities. It serves as a reminder to all of how potentially serious the mountains we run around in are. Suddenly that small amount of safety kit in our bum bag ( thin windproof etc...) can seem very inadequate.

Well done to Martin ( Welsh Harrier ) Cortvriend in what must be for him one of his more arduous longer races ( Martin tends generally toward shorter races, especially those with potential for lunatic descents ! ).
To explain we just happened to be going up the Pyg track on Snowdon as the race came through.

As to my work mates & the 3 Peaks Challenge (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike & Snowdon ) we were undertaking, all finished okay, a little footsore & weary but very happy. For some members it was there first real taste of serious mountain walking. Sponsorship for our 2 teams has now surpassed the early forecast of £50,000 & looks likely to be nearer
£60,000. The money is going to Multiple Sclerosis & East Cheshire hospice charities.
Thanks to those club members who loaned me kit or offered to do so. I will return it in the next few days.
Cheers, Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Great to hear your team raised so much for these two charities.
NB all excess money from the Langley Seven went to the East Cheshire Hospice last year and I see no reason to alter that position for this year's event on the first Saturday in November - I am now looking for willing volunteers to marshall, set up the start field, record finishing times, operated the computer etc etc. Don't be shy - get in touch with me:
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running