Congratulations Digby!!

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Congratulations Digby!!

Postby phil cheek » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Despite horrendous conditions on the Helvellyn leg,with virtually zero vis in the dark the team Kept Digby going to a 23.5 hour BG.
It all went nasty over Dodds ,Helvellyn, Fairfield but the Beneficial one,with help from Ross refused to panic or yield to the conditions & eventually brought him in to Dunmail with the loss of 90 minutes(a real baptism of fire for Janet & Sarah).
In daylight & improved weather Digby buckled down to recover the time with the able support of a huge band of helpers & despite more bad vis & wet rock over the high fells he`d pulled back almost an hour at Wasdale.,all the deficit by Honister & despite tiring a bit at the end he finished smiling to a huge welcoming party.
A credit to him & club to succeed in these conditions,& well done to the chairman for sticking at it in "epic" conditions

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Good one guys!
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:01 am

Well done Digby and all your helpers.
Nancy
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:06 am

As I leave in benign sunshine for my sunday morning jog from Common Barn - congratulations Digby and the team - well done!
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Fletch » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Yes very well done Digby, but what happened to you on the 6th leg!!!!?? A no show in the pub!!???
Fletch
Plodder

Postby thebunyans » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Doesn't count then. He'll have to go round again.
thebunyans
The Boss

Digby BG

Postby geofpet1 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Fantastic! Well done Digby!! 8)
geofpet1
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:39 pm

Digby,Disqualified after all that effort,bliiddy `eck.
Annette wants to know the new date,next week`s fine but maybe change leg order & do 6th leg first!!

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Many, many thanks to all those who supported and encouraged me this weekend, I had a fantastic time (even leg 2 - what an adventure!!) and hope you all did too.

Ben Dic deserves a special mention, not only because he encouraged me to have a go this year, but also because he (with the able assistance of Ross) got us all safely round the night time Dodds leg in absolutley atrocious conditions.

I hope I can still get on the Macc. role of honour despite failing to start Leg 6 (lightweight I know) but the uncontrollable shivering I experienced when I got back to the B&B (salt imbalance I think) would have resulted in me spilling my pint(s) over everyone. My palate has now expanded back to more than just lucozade and wine gums and I'm looking forward to the next cow pie opportunity - who's next??!!

Cheers, Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby Mandy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Well Done Digby!
Sounds like you will have an epic tale to tell in the pub for years to come!
Glad that appetite has returned and all the team escaped unscathed!

Mandy and Martin
Mandy
Front runner

Postby Northern Chris » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Digby,
Congratulations and a damn fine run from Dunmail, although your 6th leg needs some work!!
Chris and Polly
Northern Chris
Mid pack runner

Postby Digby » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:27 pm

A very big thankyou to everyone who supported Digby and his family. We couldn't have been shown more kindness and friendship. It was a memorable 24 hours. How privileged we felt to be amongst so many caring and talented people! - Mahtab and Sally (wife and mother respectively!)
Digby
Elite athlete

Digby's BG

Postby Justin Gutmann » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:26 am

Brilliant, knew you'd do it! But what conditions. Sorry again I couldn't have been there.

Justin
Justin Gutmann
Plodder

Postby Philip Barnes » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:19 pm

You hero!!
Sorry I couldn't help out diggers but on reflection maybe it was a goood thing I stayed in bed :roll:

Very very well done (to Bendic and Ross too!).

This must be an inspiration to some others to have a go?
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:51 pm

A very fine achievement from a very strong contendor who kept going even when it seemed like the worsening weather might defeat him. He just kept going, plugging away at it & accepting his lot. Well done Digby & to all the other club members who turned out to support etc... Challenging, conditions wise at times it may have been but all the more memorable a day for it.

Are we done with attempts this year or can we manage another late entrant ?. There is still time, step forward now prospective contendors.

I suspect 08 may be a bumper year for club member attempts with several strong candidates already indicating their intentions.

Maybe someone feels strong enough to do a winter round?. These are still a relative rarity.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running