Wed Night Run 1st Aug - Fools Nook Pub comments

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Wed Night Run 1st Aug - Fools Nook Pub comments

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 pm

Sorry folks somehow I missed next week off the calendar when I was planning venues a few months back. So the venue is the Fools Nook pub just out of Macc on the road toward Leek. We will be visiting Crooker Hill on route, the one with the large Telecoms mast ( affectionately known by some as the "Can Opener" ) on it.
Details of the venue ( map link etc ) have been posted on the main website Home page & Fell page ( Thanks Julian ).
Cheers, Your forgetfull Dictator. Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:00 pm

John / Julian, can we sticky this post to the top until after next wednesday. Ta muchly !.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:21 pm

Sorry about the intially hostile landlord & lady though whoever it was who gave them as they described to me " a mouthfull " obviously will hopefully engage brain next time before mouth. i should not need to apologise for others behaviour. We do need to be evermore aware of the large number of us & cars blocking up car parks. Please try & car share whenever possible.
Anyway after the intial problems the beer & atmosphere in the pub after the run seemed okay to me. However one or two members seemed to suggest otherwise.

What do the rest of you think ?.

I am keen to have a venue on our regular list that allows us to run on the Croker Hill area & the Fools Nook certainly fits that bill. As a very local area it is under represented & I think I can come up with a good winter evening run on the area ( ie. one on good tracks but away from traffic ).
We currently have around 30 pubs on our approved venue list so we visit most roughly twice a year. Obviously I only put some of the further a field venues on the summer calendar.

Please post your opinions on the Fools Nook Pub & any other venues.

As ever anyone prepared to lead a good route please let me know. We generally run a route minimum 11k & max 14k. They always take longer when we are a group.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:26 am

I missed the interplay last Weds at the Fools Nook but isn't this the very same landlady who alienated so many whilst at the Hanging Gate?
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:30 am

Does that mean the Hanging Gate is worth investigating again!
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby david tucker » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 pm

That woman's got history. Besides a list of friendly pubs we need a danger list as well. These are generally food orientated places where our custom is not their prime focus, so we best keep away. I was in the Hanging gate recently and its good but it is small and I think we would need prior permission before 21 people turn up. There is no harm in meeting in non pub places near where we want to run and driving to a decent pub. Much better than putting up with hostile staff. I can't believe how such people who are obviously uncomfortable with customers can be in a position to run a pub! Mind you, peoples tastes vary!
david tucker
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running