The "Not the Borrowdale Fell Race"

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

The "Not the Borrowdale Fell Race"

Postby Philip Barnes » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:35 pm

The "Not the Borrowdale Fell Race" took place on Saturday. Macclesfield yet again fielded a strong team of 2!
Chris Rhodes 204th in 03:35:07
Philip Barnes 318th in 04:02:58
423 ran, over 100 more than last year.

It is slightly worrying that the reason for missing Sca Fell Pike was the forecast "severe weather". In reality, the race was run in near pefect conditions, with a little clag on Great End. It would be a pity if this was the beginning of a more "risk averse" attitude by race organisers. I know it is difficult to second guess hoW a weather front is moving, but many races simply wouldn't take place if we got over concerned about conditions. The Edale Skyline this year was good case in point! :(
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:42 pm

Yeah, does sound a bit controversial. Sounds like it was based on a recommendation from the MRT on the assumption that a weather front was approaching.

If an organiser is told by the MRT that they advise against the race taking place, or should use a bad weather alternative, they don't have much choice. If anything did then happen, they would be vulnerable to legal claims that they acted negligently by going against expert advice.

Never mind, you'll have to do it again now.
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Philip Barnes » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:55 pm

Yet again there were people on the race asking what they were standing on! It was Great Gable! :evil:
I must admit, If I were the organiser, I would feel pretty nervous knowing tere were idiots like that on the fells, whatever the weather!
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:34 pm

The race should have been run as normal and let natural selection take care of the rest
thebunyans
The Boss

Return to Fell Running