New Fell Shoe about to hit the Market.

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

New Fell Shoe about to hit the Market.

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:38 pm

Was up at the New Balance factory in the Lakes whilst on Hols & saw the preproduction sample of their new fell shoe. Pretty Radical it is too.
A one piece tough looking fabric upper ( no stitching at all ) welded to sole looking very similar to the Inov8 330 / Mudclaw stud pattern. It also has a integral close fitting ( zip off with those flash new water resistant zip ) just over ankle gaiter to stop grit etc... getting into the shoe and cover the laces from the muck and mire. Tried on the only ones they had, size 9, slightly too small ( I am a 9.5 ). I was pretty impressed by the look and feel. They seem to take fell shoe design on too the next level. Walsh & Inov8 may need to up their game if these work well. They look to be a huge advance on the RX Terrain, New Balances current fell shoe. Price supposedly around £65 to £70 and in the shops from September. I look forward to seeing if they run as good as they look.
Remember you heard it here first. Cheers. Craig.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Chris Cripps & I have been fans of the RX for years & pay £30-40 in the NB shops in Cumbria.
CC`s comment to me on the new ones some weeks ago was ,gimmicky & pricey,but then he is a Cumbrian.
Any way I`m glad I`ve a good stock of RX in the garage,cos these new ones are going to have to be VERY good to be worth twice as much.
It is good to spoilt for choice compared to the old days of a Walsh or a Walsh.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Clearly you don't recall the really "old" days Phil when there was a choice - Walsh or the infamous Reebok Aztek or Ripple as it came to be known (no not a joke neither was it some kind of confection, but a strange blue off road shoe with a sort of baby poo coloured sole with horizontal ridges running the entire length of the shoe).
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:51 pm

What about the green Rimington Pike?...
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby phil cheek » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Rimington or Rivington?They were Ron Hills weren`t they?
There were ETA`s& I had a pair of Pumas that weren`t bad.

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:39 am

Then there was the Inter Premier with a waffle sole - all for under £10!
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Shoes thru' the ages

Postby mudskimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:10 am

I've still got my Reebock Aztec (blue with beige ridged sole), and Rivington Pikes (green), in my shoe museum in the garage - along with several pairs of walsh's, Innovate's a, and montrails, - not to mention the Nike Pegasus, adidas and New Balance off road shoes.
These shoes date back to 1986, when in those days the only small (size 5) fell shoe was the Reebock Aztec, and Rivington Pike - as there were so few lady runners in the fells in those days.

Perhaps I should open up my historical shoe collection to members of the public for guided tours, and charge a small fee so that I can buy myself some new socks !

I could also include a good collection of outer garments - 'The evolution of the jacket - mistproof to waterproof in 30 years' .......D'yer think I'd have many takers?
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Welsh Harrier (MC) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:28 am

My first two pairs of fell shoes were Reeboks and they seemed to be pretty good at the time until I discovered Walshies. I've been wearing New Balance road shoes for years - must be on my 20th pair by now but the problem with their fell shoe is that they don't do them big enough for me. Hopefully this new shoe should have a size 13?!
Welsh Harrier (MC)
Mid pack runner

Postby phil cheek » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:22 pm

My my what big feet you`ve got said red riding hood
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 pm

I've still got the pair of clogs that I used to wear when walking the six miles to the pit.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:17 am

Yeh, but are they road or off road clogs ?
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running