Lakeland weekend "fells & lakes"

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Lakeland weekend "fells & lakes"

Postby Philip Barnes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:24 am

After a brief discussion with a few of the chaps on wednesday eve, one thought it might be a beezer weekend if one couldn't combine a jaunt around a classic fell race route on the Saturday with a canoe / kyak day on the Sunday.
One proposes the following:
October 13th / 14th
Saturday, jaunt round the Wasdale Fell Race route (I chance for one to see the latter stages of this race :oops: )
Sunday, Canoeing on Wastwater.
There would, of course, be lashings of ginger beer to consume on Saturday night at the Wasdale Head Hotel :lol:
Rumour has it that summer may have arrived by then!
Anyone intersted??? Alternative suggestions are of course welcome.
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Great idea,could always have the beer at Gosforth Hall & stay st the clud chalet(aka Annette`s).We`ve got boats to lend.
BUT isn`t that weekend BG dinner?Answer to my own question,yes it is.

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:51 pm

And the fell relays.... but then again that doesn't affect all of us....
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Philip Barnes » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:40 pm

There are other weekends!
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Great idea Phil and I hope I'm around to participate in at least part of the weekend (eg the pub part) - but isn't Wastwater frozen over from Oct onwards?
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:38 am

Have you not heard of global warming,it didn`t freeze till early november last year!

Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:48 am

Not global warming in Wasdale but local gurning (have any Macc Harriers ever entered a gurning competion? - I know of several who would have, as it were, a head start.)
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:04 pm

The Fell Relays will involve a number of members on Sat Oct 13th as will the Bob Graham Round Club dinner at the Shap Wells Hotel ( Nr. Shap ) that evening. Janet & I will be at both events & are interested in doing something on Sunday. Have to say its a fair way to drive around to Wasdale though & we would be more likely to be interested in something a little closer to Shap.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby thebunyans » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Janet & I will be at both events

Are you allowed guests at the BG dinner then?... perhaps my best bet to get an invite then is to get Nancy to become a member!
thebunyans
The Boss

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 pm

As a serious response to John's query regarding guests at the Bob Graham Dinner ( which is held at the Shap Wells hotel every other year ). New completist members & partners are given priority then other existing members & partners then their guests. If folk seriously wish to attend as guests let me know & I will enquire for spaces. Macclesfield Harriers & Friends generally have one of the largest tables & of course our recent completists Mike Nelson, Neil King, Dave Kilpatrick & Digby Harris should all be getting there certificates. Its £24 per head & there's always well participated in dancing afterwards. Room rates at the hotel are generally pretty reasonable too.
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running