Bullock Smithy

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Bullock Smithy

Postby Fletch » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Well done to all the Macc Harriers who took part in the 2007 Bullock smithy.

I would like to say a BIG thank you to both Nancy and Fran who without them I would have not completed the event.

Thanks Girls.
Fletch
Plodder

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:07 am

Yes well done to everyone - some very fast times.
Well done to Mr Watts - TMB next year?
Ross
Plodder

Postby Stephen Watts » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:10 am

Well done to you too on the TMB this year.
If I can get the legs back in order to run on hard surfaces, I might well be tempted. I've heard you're dead keen for the 2008 edition.
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:35 am

Well done everyone - thirteen starters and thirteen finishers - unless I've missed someone off in which case I apologise. Don't remember that many for a long time.

Especially good efforts by Julie and Fran (told you there were no dogs in Derbyshire) for getting round on their first go, and to Jon Falkner - who I think will agree that it's harder to walk round than run.

Was particularly impressed by Matt K-H - what was the first thing he did when he finished ??? cup of tea ? fry up ? keel over outside ? No - he paid me his club subs !!! Fine fellow.

Results in no particular order - and sorry if I've missed someone off...

Stephen Watts 9:13
Matt Kowalski-Hicks 12:53
Paul Rushworth 11:19
Jo Miles 12:29
Geoff Pettengell 11:56
Nancy Bunyan 15:30
Julian Brown 9:05
Pete Coppack 12:00
Jon Falkner 21:21
Justin Gutmann 16:40
Fran Swallow 15:30
Steve Swallow 12:00
Julie Fletcher 15:30

.... and as Pete rightly pointed out.... you've all now qualified for the Long Distance Walkers 100 miler in Yorkshire next May.

Some quite good pics from John Corfield on the website...

http://www.bullocksmithy.com/2007/

I recognise all the locations and most of the people.
This is sad. I need to get out more.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Bullock Smithy

Postby Justin Gutmann » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Awesome result for you Julian. Well done to all. Nancy knocked an hour off her time last year. I tried to keep up with the three girls but the old legs just wouldn't go any faster, though I did knock over two hours off last year's result. See you all next year!

Justin
Justin Gutmann
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Well done all on Bullock &TMB & salutations from a very sunny Scotland.
Julie,Annette did 2 Munroes in your shoes yesterday & plans to wear them on the Helvellyn tri on Sunday.
I`ll settle up when I see you.Poss Weds week
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Fletch » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Excellent Phil, pass on my good luck wishes to Annette for Sunday for me and see you soon.

Ah Julian, but there was a dog on the route we took, but you were obvioulsy going so fast you missed it!!!! :) It was chained up this time though and behind a gate so we were safe. And what happened to all this cake you told us was on offer on the Bullock Smithy, or did you eat it all and stuff your bum bag with more!??
Fletch
Plodder

Bullock

Postby geofpet1 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 pm

I felt awful at the end this year - tell me i wasn't the only one............please!
geofpet1
Elite athlete

Postby Franswallow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:58 pm

oh no, I'd definately lost the will to live by the time we reached the middlewood way (don't like that path at the best of times)

That said, otherwise I found it quite a laugh (I daren't say more fun than a road event...) aided strongly by my 2 collegues, excellent navigation and a vital piece of zinc oxide tape to fix my head torch, or I would still be stumbling along in the dark!!

I was slightly disappointed by the finishing time of 'im indoors, also being a first timer, he should slowed down a bit, just to make me feel better!!
My children are finding the crepitus (creaking) of my knees since this day out quite alarming, should I be worried??
Franswallow
Mid pack runner

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Geoff - feeling awful at the finish is good and should be savoured as part of the ageing process.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:20 am

Yes well done Julian (I didn't see you on the results first time). Fantastic time.
Ross
Plodder

Postby Andy Gray » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:04 am

A vet says- UltraFran, the main reason for you to worry about creaking knees is that it should attract a pack of hunting dogs interpreting it to be the sound of an ailing Wildebeast.
Andy Gray
Plodder

Postby mudskimmer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:00 pm

Well done everyone - and at least the weather was kind for you.
I don't know who's been telling untruths about cake - I've never seen cake on the Bullocks Smithy ever, it's always jam butties and milky tea - the 2 things I hate almost as much as rice pudding.

Mind you, that could be 'cos I'm slower and all the fast 'uns at the front have eaten it.

Does this mean that we now have 2 teams of ultra - ladies, perhaps stretching to 3 ??
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:13 am

Jo had all the cake. And the jam butties. And the doughnuts - and she doesn't like any of these things.
You were quite lucky her chums weren't out otherwise there wouldn't have been anything left. The one time she beat Alison last year was at the Roaches where she devised a cunning strategy of leaving a large quantity of particularly sticky flapjack outside the Crag inn and pointing this out to her, by the time Alison had eaten it all she was miles behind. I kid ye not.

My nutritional needs were met by a large quantity of Phil's green beans, ta muchly Phil. Just kept me going 'till the fry-up at the end.

All the long distance walkers events get a scoff rating, this heavily influences which ones we turn up to, as I've done a couple over the years feel free to ask...
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Whats the scoff info' for the Long Mynd then??
Do I need to take my own tuck shop?
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Next

Return to Fell Running